Everybody involved in sport, from the bleachers to the boardroom, should develop an understanding of ethics. Sport ethics prompt discussion of the central principles and ideals by which we all live our lives, and effective leadership in sport is invariably ethical leadership. This fascinating new introduction to sport ethics outlines key ethical theories in the context of sport as well as the fundamentals of moral reasoning. It explores all the central ethical issues in contemporary sport: from violence, hazing, and gambling to performance enhancement, doping, and discrimination.
This book not only investigates the ethical, social, and legal underpinnings of the most important issues in sport today, but also introduces the reader to the foundations of ethical leadership in sport and discusses which leadership strategies are most effective. Each chapter includes original real-world case studies, learning exercises, and questions to encourage students to reflect on the ethical problems presented.
Sport, Ethics and Leadership is an essential resource for any course on sport and leisure studies, the ethics and philosophy of sport, or sport and leisure management.
"Sport, Ethics and Leadership is an approachable and readable textbook. The case studies and exercises at the end of each chapter are useful for checking and deepening student learning. This makes it an excellent option for adoption for Sport Ethics classes." - Shawn E. Klein, Professor of Philosophy, Arizona State University, USA and blogger at SportsEthicist.com
1. Ethics and Moral Reasoning
2. Ethics in the Context of Sport
3. The Importance of Leadership and Leadership Development in Sport
4. The Changing Ethical Landscape of Amateurism
5. Fan Behavior: Ethics, Responsibilities and Expectations
6. The Ethical Cost of Medical Issues
7. Social, Legal and Ethical Issues of Performance Enhancement in Sport
8. The Ethics of Race Discrimination in Sport
9. The Ethics of Gender Discrimination in Sport
10. Violence and Hazing in Sport
11. Gambling and Sport
12. Ethical Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights in Sport
13. The Ethics of Technology in Sport
14. Value, Virtue and Meaning in Sport