Music and sport are both highly significant cultural forms, yet the substantial and longstanding connections between the two have largely been overlooked. Sporting Sounds addresses this oversight in an intriguing and innovative collection of essays.
With contributions from leading international psychologists, sociologists, historians, musicologists and specialists in sports and cultural studies, the book illuminates our understanding of the vital part music has played in the performance, reception and commodification of sport. It explores a fascinating range of topics and case studies, including:
- The use of music to enhance sporting performance
- Professional applications of music in sport
- Sporting anthems as historical commemorations
- Music at the Olympics
- Supporter rock music in Swedish sport
- Caribbean cricket and calypso music
From local fan cultures to international mega-events, music and sport are inextricably entwined. Sporting Sounds is a stimulating and illuminating read for anybody with an interest in either of these cultural forms.
Table of Contents
1. The Psychological, Psychophysical and Ergogenic Effects of Music in Sport: A Review and Synthesis Costas I. Karageorghis and Peter C. Terry 2. Video, Priming and Music: Effects on Emotions and Motivation Georgios Loizou and Costas I. Karageorghis 3. Managing Pre-Competitive Emotions With Music Daniel T. Bishop and Costas I. Karageorghis 4. Music and Figure Skating Glenn S. Harman, Sonia Bianchetti and David Forberg 5. The Energy of Festivity: Atmosphere, Intonation and Self-Orchestration in Danish Popular Sports Henning Eichberg 6. Music as Sport History: The Special Case of Pietro Metastasio’s L’Olimpiade and the Story of the Olympic Games Jeffrey O. Segrave 7. ‘Anyone For Tennis’: Notes on the Genre ‘Tennis Composition’ Heinrich W. Schwab 8. Ludus Tonalis: Sport and Musical Modernisms 1910-1938 Anthony Bateman 9. War, Remembrance and Sport: ‘Abide With Me’ and the FA Cup Final in the 1920s Jeffrey Hill 10. ‘Friday Night and the Gates are low’: Popular Music and its Relationship(s) to Sport Mike McGuinness 11. Supporter Rock in Sweden: Locality, Resistance and Irony at Play Dan Porsfelt 12.Uíbh Fhalí, how I miss you with your heather scented air’: Music, Locality and the Gaelic Athletic Association in Ireland Mike Cronin 13. ‘This Thing Goes Beyond the Boundary’: Cricket, Calypso, the Caribbean and their Heroes Claire Westall 14. Bouts of Kiwi Loyalty: Musical Frames and Televised Sport Malcolm MacLean