186 pages | 1 B/W Illus.
Sports Coaching: The Basics is an engaging and provocative introduction to sports coaching which combines coaches’ views and experiences of their work with discussions and topical issues that feature in this fast-growing field. In doing so, coaches are placed at the centre of the discussions relating to philosophical, historical, sociological, psychological and pedagogical interpretations of contemporary practice. Consequently, the book prompts questions such as:
In considering these questions, readers are encouraged to reflect upon their experiences of coaching and to start conversations with others about coaches’ work. Therefore, the book is of use for coaches, those interested in studying sports coaching, and coach educators or facilitators of coach learning initiatives.
"Laura Purdy encourages you to reflect on your coaching practice and question your current approach to sports coaching. Reviewing my coaching practice empowered me to research new coaching methods, which in turn has strengthened my coaching knowledge." - Bob Mitchell, basketball coach
1. What is sports coaching?
2. The philosophical coach
3. A history and a herstory of sports coaching
4. Coaching as social: considering the ‘taken for granted’ in coaches’ work
5. Causes and consequences: coaches as motivated and as constructors of motivational climates
6. Athlete/player learning and coaches’ methods
7. Learning the labour: considering coaches’ learning initiatives
8. Crossing lines: considering problematic coaching behaviour(s)
9. Twelve hour days, six days a week, fifty weeks a year: considering the careers of performance coaches
The Basics is a highly successful series of accessible guidebooks which provide an overview of the fundamental principles of a subject area in a jargon-free and undaunting format.
Intended for students approaching a subject for the first time, the books both introduce the essentials of a subject and provide an ideal springboard for further study. With over 50 titles spanning subjects from Artificial Intelligence to Women’s Studies, The Basics are an ideal starting point for students seeking to understand a subject area.
Each text comes with recommendations for further study and gradually introduces the complexities and nuances within a subject.