Stewardship and the Future of the Planet Promise and Paradox
Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)
This volume examines historical views of stewardship that have sometimes allowed humans to ravage the earth as well as contemporary and futuristic visions of stewardship that will be necessary to achieve pragmatic progress to save life on earth as we know it.
The idea of stewardship – human responsibility to tend the Earth – has been central to human cultures throughout history, as evident in the Judeo-Christian Genesis story of the Garden of Eden and in a diverse range of parallel tales from other traditions around the world. Despite such foundational hortatory stories about preserving the earth on which we live, humanity in the Anthropocene is nevertheless currently destroying the planet with breathtaking speed.
Much research on stewardship today – in the disciplines of geography, urban studies, oceans research, and green business practice – offers insights that should help address the ecological challenges facing the planet. Simultaneous scholarship in the humanities and other fields reminds us that the damage done to the planet has often been carried out in the name of tending the land. In order to make progress in environmental stewardship, scholars must speak to each other across the disciplinary boundaries, as they do in this volume.
Introduction: The Contradictory Inflections of Stewardship
Part I: Human Self-Perception and Misperception
1. Stewardship and Sense of Place: Assumptions and Ideals
Tyra A. Olstad
2."I Was Under No Necessity of Seeking My Bread": Robinson Crusoe and the Stewardship of Resources in Eighteenth-Century England
3. Stewardship in American Literature: Promise and Paradox in the New World
Josh A. Weinstein
Part II: Dystopic Visions of Past, Present, and Future
4. Monstrous Stewardship and the Plantation in Charles Chesnutt’s "The Goophered Grapevine"
Matthew Wynn Sivils
5. Human Stewardship and "Reproductive Futurism" in Dystopian Fiction
Pramod K. Nayar
6 Climate Change and Apocalyptic Literature: Post-Human Stewardship in Paolo Bacigalupi's Drowned Cities Trilogy
Part III: Approaches to Contemporary Challenges
7. Political Aspects of Stewardship for Wildlife in the U.S.
8. The Future of the Seascape and the Humanity of Islanders: Focusing on the Korean Archipelago
9. Stewardship of Rangelands in the 21st Century: Managing Complexity from the Margins
Nathan F. Sayre
Part IV: Envisioning the Future
10. Product Stewardship: Ethics and Effectiveness in a Circular Economy
Helen Lewis and Nick Florin
11. An Evolutionary Systems Theoretic Perspective on Global Stewardship
William M. Bowen
12. Stewardship in the Anthropocene: Meanings, Tensions, Futures
Maria Tengö, Johan Enqvist, Simon West, Uno Svedin, Vanessa Masterson and Jamila Haider
We offer free standard shipping on every order across the globe.
- Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)