With contributions from leading academics and practitioners, Strategic Planning for Regional Development in the UK is the most up-to-date treatment of a fast-changing subject.
The book discusses:
- The evolution of regional planning in the UK and the strategic thinking involved
- The spatial implications of regional economic development policies
- The methods and techniques needed for the implementation of strategic planning for regional development
- How strategic planning for regional development is currently put into practice in three UK regions with different priorities.
Strategic Planning for Regional Development in the UK is essential reading for students and academics working within strategic and regional planning and provides policy makers and practitioners with a comprehensive and thought provoking introduction to this critically important emerging field.
1. Introduction Harry Dimitriou and Robin Thompson 2. The Evolution of Strategic Planning and Regional Development in the UK Peter Hall 3. Regional Institutions, Governance and the Planning System Mark Tewdwr-Jones and Philip Allmendinger 4. Strategic Planning Thought: lessons from other sectors for regional development Harry Dimitriou 5. Strategic Thought and Regional Planning: The importance of context Harry T Dimitriou and Robin Thompson 6. Strategic Choice and Regional Planning Chris Yewlett 7. Regional Economic Planning and Development: Policies and spatial implications Peter Roberts 8. Regional Planning, Regional Development and Transport Markets Roger Vickerman 9. The Role of Planning and Development in Spatial Labour Markets Ivan Turok 10. Regional Transport and Integrated Land-use/Transport Planning Tools David Banister and David Simmonds 11. Regional Household Projections and Strategic Housing Allocations Nick Gallent 12. Regional Planning and Sustainability Assessment John Glasson 13. Strategic and Regional Planning in the Greater South-East Robin Thompson 14. Strategic and Regaional Planning in the North-East Paul Benneworth and Geoff Vigar 15. Strategic and Regaional planning in the North-west Mark Baker and Gwyn Williams 16. Strategic Planning in the Glasgow Metropolitan Region Vincent Goodstadt 17. Conclusions Harry Dimitriou and Robin Thompson