Students Must Write
A Guide to Better Writing in Coursework and Examinations
The third edition of this well-respected guide will help students of all subjects to write more clearly and more effectively, with valuable advice on how to:
- make good notes
- find information, cite sources and list references
- write better coursework assignments
- achieve higher grades in tests and examinations
- prepare a well-organised dissertation, long essay, term paper, project report or thesis
- write effective letters and applications.
Written by an esteemed author with many years of experience of helping students improve key writing skills, this text also includes straightforward guidance on word choice and the new challenges and opportunities afforded by the use of computers. Exercises are also provided for students to put the theories into practice, either individually or in group work.
Table of Contents
1. Judged by Your Writing 2. Four Reasons for Writing 3. How Students Should Write 4. Answering Questions in Course Work 5. Word Processing 6. Thoughts into Words 7. Using Words 8. Using Numbers, Tables and Illustrations to Compliment Your Words 9. Helping your Readers 10. Finding Information 11. Answering Questions in Examinations 12. Writing a Dissertation, Extended Essay, Term Paper or Project Report
Robert Barrass has many years’ experience of helping students on degree and diploma courses at the University of Sunderland to improve their writing and other key skills. His other highly successful books, also published by Routledge, include Writing at Work, Scientists Must Write and Study!