Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry 2nd Ed
Principles of Sustainable Operations
Sustainability is one of the single most important global issues facing the world. A clear understanding of the issues surrounding climate change, global warming, air and water pollution, ozone depletion, deforestation, the loss of biodiversity and global poverty is essential for every future manager in the hospitality industry. Present and future hospitality executives need to know how sustainable management systems can be integrated into their businesses while maintaining and hopefully improving the bottom line.
Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry, second edition, is the only book available to introduce the students to economic, environmental and social sustainable issues specifically facing the industry as well as exploring ideas, solutions, and strategies of how to manage operations in a sustainable way. Since the first edition of this book there have been many important developments in this field and this second edition has been updated in the following ways:
- updated content to reflect recent issues and trends including hotel energy solutions and green hotel design
- two new chapters on 'Sustainable Food' and 'Social Entrepreneurship and Social Value'
- updated international case studies throughout to explore key issues and show real life operational responses to sustainability within the hospitality industry. New case studies on growth hotel development markets, Asia and the Middle East
- new practical exercises throughout to apply your knowledge to real-life sustainability scenarios.
This accessible and comprehensive account of Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry is essential reading for all students and future managers.
Table of Contents
1. The Rationale For Sustainable Development 2. Sustainable Development In The Hospitality Industry 3. Energy Efficiency 4. Waste Management 5. Water Conservation 6. Eco-Design In Hospitality Architecture 7. Food Security 8. Sustainable Food Issues And Food Sourcing 9. Sustainable Food & Beverage Management 10. Green Marketing And Branding 11. Consumer Typology And Behaviours 12. Corporate Social Entreprises And Social Entrepreneurship 13. Hospitality Industry Environmental Management Systems 14. Certification Processes And Ecolabels 15. Financing, Investing, Measuring And Accounting In Sustainable Hospitality
Philip Sloan Department of Hospitality Management, International University of Applied Sciences, Bad Honnef, Bonn, Germany.
Willy Legrand Department of Hospitality Management, International University of Applied Sciences Bad Honnef, Bonn, Germany.
Joseph S. Chen Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Studies, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA.
Please visit our companion website for additional support materials.