Global economic growth, recently fuelled by Asia’s emerging economies, has greatly accelerated the accumulation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and boosted demand for scarce natural resources, including energy, food and mineral raw materials. These developments are pushing the planet close to its ecological boundaries.
Transforming the world economy towards sustainability, while ensuring decent levels of resource use for all global citizens, is the greatest challenge of our time. This book explores how innovation systems need to be adapted to successfully confront these challenges. The first chapter introduces the concept of sustainability-oriented innovation systems which highlights the systematic differences between systems that have developed along current resource-intensive technological trajectories and those that address the impending environmental mega-problems. The subsequent articles present case studies of sustainability-oriented innovations in a number of policy areas, including energy efficiency, electric mobility and generation of renewable energy, in China and India. These case studies confirm the specificities of innovation systems geared towards a green techno-economic paradigm.
This book was originally published as a special issue of Innovation and Development.
1. Introduction Tilman Altenburg
2. Sustainability-oriented innovation systems – managing the green transformation Tilman Altenburg and Anna Pegels
3. Technology transfer? The rise of China and India in green technology sectors Rasmus Lema and Adrian Lema
4. Innovating for energy efficiency: a perspective from India Ankur Chaudhary, Ambuj Sagar and Ajay Mathur
5. Sustainability-oriented innovation in the automobile industry: advancing electromobility in China, France, Germany and India Tilman Altenburg, Shikha Bhasin and Doris Fischer
6. Different routes to technology acquisition and innovation system building? China’s and India’s wind turbine industries Rainer Walz and Jonathan Novak Delgado
7. Key actors and their motives for wind energy innovation in China Frauke Urban, Johan Nordensvärd and Zhou Yuan
8. Challenges of low carbon technology diffusion: insights from shifts in China’s photovoltaic industry development Doris Fischer