Apple Academic Press
695 pages | 23 Color Illus. | 86 B/W Illus.
This new volume emphasizes the drastic quantitative and qualitative transformation of our surrounding environment. It looks at bioresource management and the tools needed to manage environmental stresses. This unique compilation and interpretation of concrete scientific ventures undertaken by environmental specialists at the global level explores research dedicated to the management of natural resources by controlling biotic and abiotic factors making the earth vulnerable to these stresses. The book outlines the series of important developments in the recent past on bioresource and stress management.
The chapter authors in Sustainable Bioresource Management: Climate Change Mitigation and Natural Resource Conservation look at all types of bioresources on earth and their management at times of stress/crisis, focusing on the need for documentation, validation, and recovery of ethnic indigenous knowledge and practices that could have great impact in stress management.
The book looks at topics in nature and changing climate management, adaptation, and mitigation, such as the effects of climate change on agriculture and horticulture, on timber harvesting, and on forest resources.
Part 1: Nature and Changing Climate Management, Adaptation, and Mitigation
1. Understanding the Value of Natural Resources for Human Well-Being
Kamaljit K. Sangha
2. Climate Change and Agriculture in Kenya
Mark Arango Owidhi
3. Impact of Climate Changes, Timber Harvesting, and Fires on Boreal Forests (from Example of the Ural Mountains, Russia)
4. Climate Change and Horticulture: An Indian Perspective
Debashis Mandal and R. C. Lalduhsangi
Part 2: Forest Resources Management
5. Ecological Structure and Wood Volume of Prosopis Species (Mesquite) Communities in Northeast of Mexico
Rahim Foroughbakhch et al.
6. Wood Durability of Prosopis laevigata (Humb. and Bonpl. Ex Willd.) M. C. Johnst in Northeast of Mexico
Artemio Carrillo Parra, Rahim Foroughbakhch, and Maginot Ngangyo Heya
7. Research Advances on Native Economic Plants: Trees and Shrubs in Mexico
Ratikanta Maiti, Humberto Gonzalez Rodriguez, and Ch. Aruna Kumari
8. Plant Water Relations in Native Shrubs and Trees, Northeastern Mexico
Humberto González Rodríguez et al.
9. Chemical Composition of Woods of 37 Woody Species of Tamaulipan Thorn Scrub, Northeast Mexico: A Case Study
Humberto Gonzalez Rodriguez et al.
10. Carbon Sequestration by Woody Trees and Shrubs in Northeastern Mexico: A Synthesis
Ratikanta Maiti et al.
11. Mangrove Forests and Plantations
Part 3: Crop Resources Management
12. Management of Seed Crops
Ashok K. Thakur and Sujata Kumari
13. Effect of Irrigation Frequency on Tree Seedling Production
14. Saline Soils: Strategies and Perspective to Counteract Salt Stress in Crops
15. Biopesticides for Sustainable Crop Protection and Improvement
M. Madhavi et al.
16. Morphological Characterization of Phytopathogenic Fungi Isolated from Seeds of Barley Plants (Hordeum vulgare) in Mexico
Teresa Romero Cortes et al.
17. Assessment of Plant Genetic Resources of Chili Germplasm
Anupam Das, Subrata Kundu, and Biswajit Ghosh
18. Ex-Situ Conservation of Chilli (Capsicum Spp.)
Tarun Halder and Biswajit Ghosh
19. Conservation Practices May Yield Sustainable Resource
S. M. Jalil
20. Phytochemistry of Medicinal Plants: Experimental Techniques
María Julia Verde-Star and Catalina Rivas-Morales
21. Phytoplankton and Toxic Threats
Ahmed Ibrahim Jessim
Part 4: Animal Resources Management
22. Protected Area Effectiveness for Fish Spawning Habitat in Relation to Earthquake-Induced Landscape Change
Shane Orchard and Michael J. H. Hickford
23. Minerals in Forage Consumed by White-Tailed Deer in Northeastern Mexico
Roque Gonzalo Ramírez Lozano