The fourth Factor X publication from the German Environment Agency (Umweltbundesamt, UBA), Sustainable Development and Resource Productivity: The Nexus Approaches explores the interdependencies of sustainable development paths and associated resource requirements, describing and analysing the necessities for a more resource efficient world.
The use of and competition for increasingly scarce resources are growing worldwide with current production and consumption patterns of industrialised economies soon to reach the point where the ecosphere will be overtaxed far beyond its limits. Against this background, this volume examines the important initiatives to monitor resource use at the international, EU and national level. The current trends and challenges related to sustainable resource use are discussed, including international challenges for a resource efficient world, megatrends, justice and equitable access to resources. In the second part of the book, contributions examine implementation strategies. They assess the concept known as circular economy and discuss the theory of growth and the role of the financial and education systems. The final section places special emphasis on practical examples. Overall, the book presents concrete ways and examples of achieving more sustainability in practice.
Discussing solutions for a more sustainable use of natural resources, this book is essential reading for scholars and students of natural resources and sustainable development and decision-makers and experts from the fields of policy development, industry and civil society.
The Open Access version of this book, available at https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781003000365, has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Setting the Scene
1. RESCUE the Anthropocene – Urgent Actions for the Great Transformation
2. The world at the ultimate crossroads: climate change, environmental impacts, population, natural resources sufficiency in the long perspective with integrated models
Harald Ulrik Sverdrup, Ullrich Lorenz and Anna Hulda Olafsdottir
3. Reporting resource use in Germany
Stephan Lutter, Stefan Giljum, Christopher Manstein and Gerda Palmetshofer
4. The Rise of E-Mobility as a Trade-off between social and ecological benefits and Distributional Injustice: How the socio-technical regime and externalisation prevent a profound transformation of the mobility sector
Fabian Zimmer and Doerte Themann
5. The quest for the holy grail: Can smart cities lead us to sustainability?
6. Sustainable development as the ultimate target of adopting a nexus approach to resources management
Serena Caucci, Lulu Zhang, Karla Locher-Krause and Stephan Hülsmann
7. The water-energy nexus of Brazil’s hydropower
Theodoros Semertzidis, Raimund Bleischwitz and Catalina Spataru
8. Education, sustainable development, and resource management
Katrin Kohl and Charles A. Hopkins
Part 2. Core Aspects of an Integrated Resource Policy
9. Systemic analysis of the nexus of greenhouse gas emissions and material use in the energy sector
10. Wrong Memes - Organic Farming and Battery Electric Vehicles
11. What’s going on abroad? Monitoring international resource policies
Monika Dittrich, Andreas Auberger, Christopher Manstein, Detlef Schreiber and Elisabeth Dürr
12. Pathways to a Resource-Efficient and Greenhouse-Gas Neutral Germany
Jens Günther, Philip Nuss, Katja Purr, Monika Dittrich and Harry Lehmann
13. Resource Use in a Post-fossil Green Germany
Monika Dittrich, Karl Schoer, Jens Günther, Philip Nuss and Harry Lehmann
14. Vertical integration in a multi-level governance system using the example of the German Resource Efficiency Programme (ProgRess)
Maic Verbücheln and Bettina Bahn-Walkowiak
15. A strategy to increase the resource efficiency of renewable energy technologies
Hans-Martin Henning, Shivenes Shammugam, Estelle Gervais and Thomas Schlegl
16. Governing Critical Infrastructure in digital futures
17. The energy transition in Deventer - A Hanseatic approach
Ir. Almar (A.M.) Otten and R.C (Ron) Sint Nicolaas RA
Part 3. Case Studies of Existing Solutions
18. Natural Resources as Common Goods
Alexa K. Lutzenberger, Franziska Lichter and Sarah Holzgreve
19. Sustainable Resource Output: Towards an Approach to a Multidimensional Environmental Assessment of Biomass Production
Böttcher, H.; Hennenberg, K., Wiegmann, K., Scheffler, M., Hansen, A.
20. More Resource efficiency in production and products - Digitalisation supports industry and trades
21. 8 Tons of Lifestyle – Monitoring a Sustainable Material Footprint for Households in Germany and the World
Jens Teubler, Sebastian Schuster and Christa Liedtke
22. C like Clever and Cycle – Without a smart and systematic conception of the metal industry, product labelling and an indicator system, nothing will happen
Greiff, K.; Fiesinger, F.; Liedtke, C.; Faulstich, M.
23. The Nexus of Procurement and Sustainability - Reflection of the Limits and Opportunities of Product Labels, Using the Example of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
Uwe Sayer and Nina Griesshammer
24. The role of biomass use in a defossilised and resource-efficient world
Horst Fehrenbach and Nils Rettenmaier
Part 4. Pioneering Innovations
25. Big, environmentally friendly events
Sparing resources, respecting nature, setting limits: An attempt by the German Protestant Festival (Deutscher Evangelischer Kirchentag) at organising a big event on a sustainable footing
Oliver Foltin, Christof Hertel and Jobst Kraus
26. The Kwawu resilient entrepreneurial ecosystems: A complex adaptive systems approach to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
Eben Anuwa-Amarh and Christoph Hinske
Contributors: Nana Kwabena Bamfo-Debrah, David Sefa, Sheriff Amarh and Stephen Nassam
27. Exploring the possibility of a Meat Tax
Floris de Graad
28. Facilitating sustainable dietary choices for positive nutritional and environmental outcomes
Maysoun A. Mustafa, Ayman Salama and Sayed Azam-Ali
29. Environmental Systems Innovation in ancient India with Factor X components as revealed in old Tamil Manuscripts
Harry Lehmann is General Director of the Environmental Planning and Sustainability Strategies Division of the German Federal Environment Agency. He was an early member, and is now the President, of the Factor 10 Club for resource productivity and sustainable use of natural resources. He is one of the founders of Eurosolar and since 2011 he has been executive Chairman of the World Renewable Energy Council.
Open Access Content
Open Access content has been made available under a CC BY Creative Commons Attribution (CCBY) licenseRead Full Book - Open Access
In these videos, the contributors to Sustainable Development and Resource Productivity elaborate on the arguments made in their chapters and provide further thoughts on the interdependencies of sustainable development paths and associated resource requirements.
- Title: FactorX - The Kwawu entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Title: FactorX - Sustainable development as the target of adopting a nexus approach to resources management
- Title: FactorX - Exploring the possibility of a Meat Tax
- Title: FactorX - Governing Critical Infrastructure in digital futures
- Title: FactorX - Education, sustainable development, and resource management
- Title: FactorX - RESCUE the Anthropocene – Urgent Actions Needed
- Title: FactorX - Systemic analysis of the nexus of GHG emissions and material use in the energy sector
- Title: FactorX - Facilitating sustainable dietary choices for positive nutritional & environmental outcomes
- Title: FactorX - Environmental Systems Innovation in ancient India as revealed in old Tamil Manuscripts
- Title: FactorX - The energy transition in Deventer - A Hanseatic approach
- Title: FactorX - Procurement and Sustainability - Limits and Opportunities of Product Labels
- Title: FactorX - The water-energy nexus of Brazil’s hydropower
- Title: FactorX - The quest for the holy grail: Can smart cities lead us to sustainability?
- Title: FactorX - E-Mobility as a Trade-off between social & ecological benefits & distributional injustice
- Title: FactorX - Reporting resource use in Germany