Following the Brexit and Trump election cycles, consistent, long-term policy solutions to environmental and other societal challenges are becoming increasingly difficult to achieve. Stepping into this breach is a clear opportunity for innovation by public and privately held companies, as well as the increasingly significant role of investment and consumption.
Sustainable Innovation and Impact provides a roadmap of the many critical pathways of positive change emerging to achieve modern day societal success, including rapidly evolving corporate and investment innovation and impact strategy considerations. Exploring innovation around the future of energy, electricity and related technologies, as well as transportation and buildings efficiency, Krosinsky and Cort consider ideas framed around the circular economy, operational and supply chain strategies and the global economy.
Drawing together a diverse range of contributors and case studies, this book will be of great relevance to students, scholars and professionals with an interest in innovation, economics and sustainability more broadly.
Table of Contents
Cary Krosinsky and Todd Cort
2. What is Innovation?
Part 1 Corporate Perspectives
3. Searching for Sustainability in Human Capital
4. The potential of multi-stakeholder engagement: Argentina's Ledesma as a case study
5. Up in Smoke: A Study of Palm Oil Related Deforestation in Indonesia
6. Sustainability Frameworks: Green Chemistry and Sustainable Engineering in Pharmaceuticals
Part 2 Investment Perspectives
7. To Divest or Not to Divest
8. Shareholder Activism 2.0
9. Financing Mechanisms for Sustainable Infrastructure
10. Carbon Market Solutions
11. Investing in the Context of China’s Green Transition
12. Sustainable Private Equity and Venture Capital
13. Islamic Systems Finance
14. Forest Resilience Bonds: A Case For Investing in Forest Health
Zach Knight and Chad Reed
15. Financing the Future: Free Market Solutions for an Energy Transition
Part 3 Regional Innovations
16. New England’s Winter Chills
17. Innovation and Impact from a Brazilian Perspective
Andreia Marin Martins, Courtnay Guimaraes, Mauricio Neves dos Santos
18. An Exploration of Landfill Tax as a Waste Management Strategy
19. Germany's Simple Solution to Complex Waste Challenges
20. Infrastructure and the Future of New York City
21. African Impact Investing
Part 4 Technological innovation and the future
22. Smart Microgrids
23. Effective Disruption: How Blockchain can transform the Energy Sector
24. Artificial Intelligence as a Solution to Sustainability Challenges
25. The Potential for High-Speed Rail in the US
26. Shared Solar
27. Renewable Energy Technologies
28. The Future of the Electric Car
29. Aquaponics in Canada’s North: Food Supply for Remote Communities
Christopher Codina-Lucia and Richard Frazao
30. Innovation in Materials and Energy
Cary Krosinsky is a leading educator, author, advisor and social entrepreneur seeking to solve sustainability challenges through corporate and investment strategy. He teaches at Yale University, USA; Concordia University, Canada; the University of Maryland, USA; and Brown University, USA; and Co-founder of the Carbon Tracker Initiative and Real Impact Tracker.
Todd Cort is Lecturer in Sustainability at the Yale School of Management and Faculty Co-director of Yale’s Center for Business and the Environment, USA.
"Sustainable Innovation and Impact is a terrific read for anyone interested in break-through thinking and solutions for the 21st century. You’ll be drawn in by the topics and quality writing -- and emerge with a renewed sense of optimism about where we are and where we can go in an age of sustainability, sustainable finance and investing. Innovation and Impact, together, allows us to deliver socio-environmental and economic growth, and justice, in our own backyard and across the nations of the earth. A "must read" for all practitioners, funders and policymakers, investors, faculty, students and citizens." -- Nancy Degnan, Senior Advisor, Education, Columbia Water Center, Columbia University, USA
"Sustainable Innovation and Impact by Krosinsky and Cort has arrived just when it was needed most. Sustainability has been on a twenty-plus year journey, and has reached the point where concepts once regarded as on the fringe of financial markets are becoming mainstream. But for sustainability to truly transform society we need to unlock new ideas. Krosinsky and Cort have brought together a collection of writers that challenge us to think differently. The ideas in this book are powerful and have the capacity to deliver meaningful benefits, but perhaps the most important thing this book does is to encourage us all to look for solutions in new ways." -- Gordon Noble, Principal Adviser at the John Grill Centre for Project Leadership, University of Sydney, Australia
"This book informs, educates, and inspires, with proposed solutions highlighting the necessity for individuals everywhere to discover their own paths for creating impact in their own lives and for the world including through collaborations. To meet our biggest social and environmental challenges today and in the future, we must support and encourage just this type of innovation." -- Jenny Chan, Senior Investment Officer, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, USA
"From his first book a decade ago, Cary Krosinsky has consistently proven his keen ability to foresee the evolution of sustainable investing. Now in this latest work with Todd Cort, he again proves he has his fingers on the pulse, making a convincing case for Innovation and Impact solutions as catalysts of the ongoing evolution of investing. Their work offers an informative and actionable overview on how to navigate this critical stage of a dynamic and rapidly evolving field." -- Amr Addas, Lecturer, Sustainable Investing, Concordia University, and Vice President, External Relations for the Finance and Sustainability Initiative (FSI) in Montreal, Canada.