This book will change the way you think about problems. It focuses on creating solutions to all sorts of complex problems by taking a practical, problem-solving approach. It discusses not only what needs to be done, but it also provides guidance and examples of how to do it. The book applies systems thinking to systems engineering and introduces several innovative concepts such as direct and indirect stakeholders and the Nine-System Model, which provides the context for the activities performed in the project, along with a framework for successful stakeholder management.
A list of the figures and tables in this book is available at https://www.crcpress.com/9781138387935.
• Treats systems engineering as a problem-solving methodology
• Describes what tools systems engineers use and how they use them in each state of the system lifecycle
• Discusses the perennial problem of poor requirements, defines the grammar and structure of a requirement, and provides a template for a good imperative construction statement and the requirements for writing requirements
• Provides examples of bad and questionable requirements and explains the reasons why they are bad and questionable
• Introduces new concepts such as direct and indirect stakeholders and the Shmemp!
• Includes the Nine-System Model and other unique tools for systems engineering
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Perceptions of Systems Engineering 3. Perceptions of Problem-Solving 4. The Successful Systems Engineer’s Toolbox 5. An Introduction to Systems 6. The Nine-System Model 7. An Introduction to Managing Risk and Uncertainty over the System Lifecycle 8. The System Lifecycle 9. The Needs Identification State of the SDP 10. The System Requirements State of the SDP 11. The System and Subsystem Design State 12. The Subsystem Construction State 13. The Subsystem Test State 14. The System Integration and System Test States of the SDP 15. The Operations and Maintenance (O&M) State of the SDP 16. The System Disposal State 17. The Nuts and Bolts of Systems 18. Luz: From Light to Darkness: Lessons Learned from the Solar System 19. Jumping to the Wrong Conclusions: A Case Study on Optimizing a Postgraduate Learning Environment 20. The Engaporean ADS Upgrade Project 21. MBSE 22. Improving the Probability of Training Successful System Engineers