Learning to work effectively and efficiently in a group is an important part of learning to be a substantive contributor in today’s business environment. Teams: A Competency Based Approach provides a solid coverage of the underlying theory of teamwork, complemented by examples, to help students learn and practice the competencies that will allow them to take advantage of team-building opportunities.
This book helps readers to systematically identify, analyze and manage issues that arise as a result of teamwork by emphasizing four important objectives for successful team-members:
- Recognizing opportunities for accomplishing goals within a team context
- Appreciating other individuals' attributes in a group setting
- Analyzing the types of environments in which teamwork is most advantageous
- Identifying and building the necessary competencies to leverage successful group experiences
With exercises and activities designed to allow readers to engage with the material and build specific team-oriented competencies, this book offers undergraduate students interested in management, team building, and human resource training the tools needed for successful group experiences.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Building Relationships Competency - The Human Side 2. Inner Self Competency: What You Bring to a Team Environment 3. Diversity Competency: What You Need to Know About Today’s Workforce 4. Team Competency: What You Need to Know About the Team Environment 5. Communication Competency: Communicating Effectively in the Team Environment 6. Organizational Environment Competency: Matching the Needs of the Organization 7. Business Ethics & Social Responsibility Competency: Being Sustainable in Today’s Workplace 8. Decision Making Competency: Consistently Making Each Decision the Best Decision 9. Time Management Competency: The Tool-kit for Effectiveness and Efficiency 10: Life-long Learning Competency: The Key to Future Success. Appendix: Chapter discussion questions and answers
Consuelo M. Ramirez a Senior Lecturer at the College of Business of the University of Texas at San Antonio, USA.