Text, Cases and Materials on Medical Law and Ethics presents a valuable collection of materials relating to often controversial areas of the law. Comprising extracts from statutes, cases and scholarly articles alongside expert author commentary and guidance which signposts the key issues and principles, this book is an ideal companion to this increasingly popular subject.
Fully revised, this new edition incorporates expanded content, including:
- updated coverage of consent and decision making, including the the Montgomery v Lanarkshire Health Board (2015) judgment;
- the impacts of the EC directive for clinical trials and GDPR on the research use of patient data; and
- discussion of other recent developments in the case law, including the 2017 Charlie Gard litigation, the 2016 Privy Council decision in Williams v Bermuda on negligence causation, and the UK Supreme Court judgment in A & B v SS for Health (2017) on funding for patients from Northern Ireland seeking terminations elsewhere.
Providing a comprehensive and up-to-date resource on this topical area of the law, this textbook is an invaluable reference tool for students of medical law as well as those studying medicine.
Table of Cases
Table of Legislation
Table of Statutory Instruments
Table of Treaties and EU Legislation
PART 1 GENERAL PRINCIPLES
1. Introduction to Ethics
2. Healthcare in England and Wales
3. Consent to Treatment
4. Treating the Incapable Patient
5. Confidentiality, Privacy and Access to Medical Records
6. Medical Malpractice
PART 2 SPECIFIC AREAS IN MEDICAL TREATMENT
7. Assisted Reproduction and Embryo Research
8. Abortion and Pre-natal Harm
9. Mental Health Law
10. Medical Research
11. Organ Transplantation
12. Treatment at the End of Life