A practical, `user-friendly' guide to the issues and methods associated with text and discourse analysis. Text and Discourse Analysis:
* examines a wide variety of authentic texts including news stories, adverts, novels, official forms, instruction manuals and textbooks
* contains numerous practical activities
* looks at a range of cohesive devices
* concludes by looking at larger patterns in texts, a set of further exercises and a guide for further reading
* provides a hands-on guide to an area of growing importance in language study.
Table of Contents
Ways of Using this book: Introduction: Part One: Lexical Cohesion: Unit 1: Word Repetition Unit 2: Using Synonyms Unit 3: Superordinates and Generals Unit 4: Opposites and Related Words Part Two: Other Kinds of Cohesion Unit 5: Substitutes Unit 6: More Substitutes Unit 7: Ellipsis Unit 8: Reference Works Unit 9: Connectiveness Part Three: Beyond Cohesion Unit 10: Larger Patterns. Further Exercises. Further Reading.
'A well designed and easy-to-manage workbook for newcomers to the discipline or anyone who is interested in how texts function and what the intrinsic features of the text are.' - Discourse and Society