Highlighting key issues in Criminal Justice that students need to consider, the Fifth Edition of this popular text contains a wide and varied selection of materials which help to explain the evolution of the criminal justice process in England and Wales since the early 1990s. Statutes, case law, empirical research and official and unofficial reports, as well as theoretical perspectives and academic comment are woven together and contextualized by the accompanying narrative to provide an authoritative account of the recent development of the criminal justice system.
Fully updated, this Fifth Edition explores the issues around:
• the introduction of Police and Crime Commissioners;
• the contracting out of probation services;
• the significant reforms to legal aid funding;
• the challenges to trial by jury posed by the internet.
This book also helpfully directs students to further reading by chapter to provide next steps for research. Written in an accessible style, Text and Materials on the Criminal Justice Process is a valuable resource for students of criminal justice.
1. Introduction, 2. The Police 3. The Crown Prosecution Service, 4. Non-Police Investigations, 5. Defence Lawyers, 6. Magistrates, 7. Trial Judges, 8. Juries, 9. Appeal and Review Decisions, 10. Sentence Management