Texts Through History:
* provides students with the skills they need to analyze the historical context of a text, without relying on extra research
* introduces some of the key schools of criticism, such as Feminism, Marxism and Post-Colonialism
* explores attitudes over time to regional identity, race and mythology
* traces the development of genre over time, examining the way different historical contexts can affect and change the form of a text
* includes a wide range of illustrative texts, from interviews and poetry, to comic sketches, rice packets and adverts.
Written by an experienced teacher and AS and A2 Level examiner, Texts Through History is an essential resource for students of AS and A2 Level English.
Preface Acknowledgements 1. Introductory Principles 2. Attitudes and Values: The Legend of King Arthur 3. Attitudes and Values: History and Regional Identity 4. Attitudes and Values: History and Race 5. Genres Over Time 6. Taking Stock and Moving Forward Suggestions for Answer Glossary