In The Essentials of Sports Reporting and Writing, authors Scott Reinardy and Wayne Wanta employ their own professional experience as sports writers and editors to give students a useful and practical view of the sports writing profession. The text is divided into readily digestible sections, covering essential topics such as types of stories; background and preparation; interviewing; the beginning stages of writing; and conclusion writing.
Through real-life examples, readers learn the in-and-outs of writing columns, advances and follows, sidebars, profiles, and features, as well as the stylistic and ethical considerations that go into writing sports content.
New to the second edition are:
A companion website also accompanies the text. It includes supplemental materials for students and pedagogical support for instructors, including slide presentations, quizzes, and sample assignments.
Intended for journalism students planning a career in sports reporting, this text offers key insights on the practical and personal aspects of the work.
This book is a must-have read on the bookshelf of any young, aspiring sports journalist. Reinardy and Wanta will take you from a rookie to a veteran in 350 pages. Ray Murray, Associate Professor, Oklahoma State University
1. Introduction: The Field of Sports Writing
2. Preparation: Tools for Successful Sports Reporting and Writing
3. Sports Writing: The Basics
4. Beginnings I: Leads
5. Beginnings II: Advanced Lead Writing
6. Beginnings III: Overused Leads
7. Middles I: Story Structures
8. Middles II: Effective Interviewing
9. Middles III: Use of Quotes
10. Middles IV: Play-By-Play
11. Story Endings
12. Other Types of Stories I: Sidebars
13. Other Types of Stories II: Advances and Follows
14: Other Types of Stories III: Sports Columns
15. Other Types of Stories IV: Features and Profiles
16. Other Types of Stories V: Sports News and Enterprise
17. Final Points I: Stylistic Errors to Avoid
18. Final Points II: Sports Journalism Ethics
19. International Affairs: Covering International Events.
20: The Life