© 2016 – Routledge
The European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) has evolved into one of the European Union's major foreign policy instruments and received considerable attention. However, other EU neighbourhood policies, and their relevance for the ENP, also require examination. The Arab uprisings, civil wars in Libya and Syria, the continuing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the crisis in Ukraine and Russia's annexation of the Crimean peninsula have all brought the institutional design and tools of the ENP into question and a comparative perspective is crucial to understand EU neighbourhood policies in a wider sense.
This timely book puts the ENP into context by exploring the major challenges and key lessons of the EU's other policy frameworks with neighbouring countries. Mapping the EU's bi-lateral and multilateral neighbourhood relations in comparison to the ENP and investigating the major challenges faced, it provides a comprehensive, up-to-date view of the EU's relations with its neighbours. Focusing on current affairs and future challenges, the comparison with the ENP and the lessons to be drawn, generate novel insights into the EU's closest external relations.
This book will be of key interest to students and scholars studying European Politics, policies and comparative politics.
1. Introduction: The European Neighbourhood Policy in a Comparative Perspective
2. Mapping the European Union’s Neighbourhood Relations: The European Economic Area as a ‘Prototype’ for the Integration of EU Neighbours?
Part I: Multilateral EU Neighbourhood Relations
3. Differentiated Integration in the European Economic Area: What Lessons Can Be Drawn for the European Neighbourhood Policy?
4. Who Can Join the European Economic Area?
5. Challenges in Exporting the Internal Market: Lessons from the Energy Community
6. The Northern Dimension: A Format for Pragmatic Cooperation with the EU’s Biggest Neighbour
[Peter Van Elsuwege]
Part II: Bilateral EU Neighbourhood Relations
7. EU-Turkey Relations: Customs Union and More… or Less?
8. Switzerland’s Bilateral Approach to European Integration: A Model for Ukraine?
[René Schwok and Cenni Najy]
9. EU-Russia Relations in the Wider Europe: From Strategic Partner to Major Competitor?
10. Comparing the European Union’s Policy towards the Western Balkans and the South Caucasus
Part III: Political, Legal and Security Challenges
11. The Effectiveness of Institutional Arrangements in the European Union’s Relations with its Neighbours
12. The EU’s Differentiated Integration Frameworks: Legislative Approximation and Lessons for the Eastern Partnership
13. The EU’s Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy Strategies: The Role of Political Conditionality
14. The European Union and (Frozen) Conflicts in its Neighbourhood: The SAP and the ENP Compared
[Julija Brsakoska Bazerkoska]
Part IV: Socio-Economic and Financial Challenges
15. European Union or Eurasian Union? A Dilemma for the Eastern Partnership Countries
16. Markets versus Morals? Assessing EU Arms Exports to Autocratic Regimes in its Closer and Wider Neighbourhood
17. A Comparative Analysis between Pre-accession and ENP Reforms in the Agricultural Sector of the EU Neighbouring Countries
18. The EU’s Other Neighbours: Lessons for the European Neighbourhood Policy