This book closely scrutinizes the individual and collective roles played by China, the EU and the USA in contemporary world politics.
Examining the three actors’ respective strategic and policy positions on and behaviour towards the flux of the contemporary global order, the analysis focuses on three major issues and challenges: foreign and security policy; economics and trade; and climate change and energy. Discussing their relative power, as well as their interests, beliefs and positions on a set of decisive issues, this book explores bilateral relations between the three powers and the ways in which they may interact trilaterally in a broader global context to shape international politics.
Written by a stellar line-up of experts from the fields of politics and international relations, The Evolving Relationship between China, the EU and the USA will be of huge interest to students and scholars from within these fields, as well as policy-makers and practitioners more generally.
Part 1: Introduction
1. Introduction, Jing Men, Simon Schunz and Duncan Freeman
2. A New Order or No Order? The EU-China-US Relationship and its Impact on Global Order, Madeleine O. Hosli, Isidoro Campioni-Noack, Rory Johnson and Lunting Wu
Part 2: Foreign and Security Policy
3. China, the EU, the US, and Global (Security) Governance, Ciwan M. Can and Xavier D. Soto
4. Caught between a Withdrawing Hegemon and an Emerging leader – What Role for the European Union in the Evolving US-China-EU ‘Triangle’?, Francesco S. Montesano
5. The United States in a Global Triangle? Re-configuring US-EU and US-China Foreign Policy and Security Relations, Alan K. Henrikson
Part 3: Economics and Trade
6. EU-China-US Trilateral Relations: Status quo, Problems and Perspectives, Chun Ding
7. The European Union’s Trade Strategy in the Emerging Tripolar Structure with the United States and China, Sieglinde Gstöhl
8. A Disorderly Retreat from Global Governance? US Trade and Investment Policies in the Trump Era, Sophie Meunier
Part 4: Climate Change and Energy
9. The EU-China-US Trilateral Relations in Global Climate Governance: The Perspective of China, Yan Bo
10. The EU-US-China Triangles and the Paris Agreement: A Clash of Orders?, Duncan Freeman
11. Climate Change Politics in the US, China and the EU: Climate Science and the Framing of Climate Action, Miranda A. Schreurs
Part 5: Conclusion
12. Conclusion, Jing Men, Simon Schunz and Duncan Freeman