The Exercising Female: Science and Its Application is the first book to provide students, researchers, and professionals with an evidence-based reference on the exceptional scientific issues associated with female participation in sport and exercise. Based on the latest research, and treating women as a unique population, the book seeks to critically evaluate current debates, present the science underpinning female sport and exercise performance, and inform applied practice for the exercising female.
Featuring contributions from leading scientists from around the world, and adopting a multidisciplinary approach—from exercise physiology, endocrinology, and biochemistry to psychology, biomechanics, and sociology—the book includes chapters on topics such as:
- Exercise and the menstrual cycle, contraception, pregnancy, motherhood, and menopause.
- Body image, exercise dependency, the psychology of sports performance, and homophobia in female sport.
- The Female Athlete Triad, bone health, musculoskeletal injury, and breast biomechanics.
- Nutritional requirements for the exercising female, immune function and exercise, and cardiovascular health.
Filling a considerable gap in book literature around the science of female sport and exercise, this is crucial reading for any student studying female sport and exercise science, researchers of female sport, and any coach, sport scientist, strength and conditioning coach, sport psychologist, physician, or physiotherapist working with female athletes.
1. Introduction to the Exercising Female
Jacky Forsyth and Claire-Marie Roberts
2. The Adolescent Exercising Female
3. The Menstrual Cycle and the Exercising Female: Implications for Health and Performance
Nancy I. Williams and Kaitlyn Ruffing
4. Hormonal-Based Contraception and the Exercising Female
Kirsty Jayne Elliott-Sale and Kirsty Marie Hicks
5. Energy and the Nutritional Needs of the Exercising Female
Joan M. Eckerson
6. The Female Athlete Triad
Mary Jane de Souza, Kirsten J. Koltun, Emily Southmayd, and Nicole Aurigemma
7. Bone Health and the Exercising Female
Jacky J. Forsyth and Karen Hind
8. Body Image and the Exercising Female
9. Exercise Addiction in the Exercising Female: An Interdisciplinary Examination
Heather A. Hausenblas and Derek T. Y. Mann
10. Immune Function and the Exercising Female
Judith Allgrove and Glen Davison
11. Musculoskeletal Injury and the Exercising Female
12. Breast Health and the Exercising Female
Jenny Burbage, Michelle Norris, Brogan Horler, and Tim Blackmore
13. The Psychology of Female Sport Performance
Claire-Marie Roberts, Leah Ferguson, and Amber Mosewich
14. The Changing Nature of Lesbian Athletes Coming Out In Competitive Organised Team Sports
15. Pregnancy and the Exercising Female
16. Postnatal Depression and the Exercising Female
Amanda J. Daley and Ruth V. Pritchett
17. Motherhood in the Exercising Female
Claire-Marie Roberts and Göran Kenttä
18. Athletic Career Termination in Females
19. Cardiovascular Health and the Exercising Female
Karen Birch and Gemma Lyall
20. Menopause and the Exercising Female
Helen Jones, Madeleine France, & David A. Low