The Far East and Australasia 2011 presents:
- a systematic survey of the countries of East and South-East Asia, Australia and New Zealand, along with a survey of 22 Pacific Islands
- essential for anyone with a professional interest in the region
- keeps up to date with current political and economic developments.
Written by acknowledged authorities on the Pacific Rim, this collection of essays forms an impartial overview of the area as a whole. Topics include: China's Rise: Evaluation and Implications, The USA’s Relations with the Asia-Pacific Region, The Security Challenges of East and South-East Asia, Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region, Environmental Issues of the Asia-Pacific Region.
Individual chapters on each country containing:
- essays on geography, history and the economy
- an economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications and education
- a directory of names, addresses and contact details covering the constitution, government, legislature, election commission, political organizations, diplomatic representation, judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade, industry, tourism, defence and education
- a select bibliography.
An entire section of the volume is dedicated to the Pacific Islands. This includes specially commissioned essays examining issues of particular importance to the Pacific Islands.
- includes all major international organizations active in the region, their aims, activities, publications and principal personnel
- a detailed survey of major commodities in Asia and the Pacific
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- select bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Far East and Australasia
- an index of regional organizations.
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. China's Rise: Evolution and Implications. The USA's Relations with the Asia-Pacific Region. The Security Challenges of East and South-East Asia. Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region. Environmental Issues in the Asia-Pacific Region. Part 2: Country Surveys. Australia. Brunei. Cambodia. The People's Republic of China. Chinese Special Administrative Regions - Hong Kong. Macao. China - Taiwan. Indonesia. Japan. Korea. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The Republic of Korea. Laos. Malaysia. Mongolia. Myanmar (Burma). New Zealand. The Pacific Islands: Australian Pacific Territories; Fiji; French Pacific Overseas Collectivities; Other French Pacific Overseas Territory; Kiribati; The Marshall Islands; The Federated States of Micronesia; Nauru; New Zealand Pacific Territory; New Zealand Pacific: Associated States; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Tonga; Tuvalu; United Kingdom Pacific Territory; US Commonwealth Territory in the Pacific; US External Territories in the Pacific; Vanuatu. The Philippines. Singapore. Thailand. Timor-Leste (East Timor). Viet Nam. Part 3: Regional Information. Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Asia and the Pacific.
'An excellent reference work which no library should be without.' - International Affairs