The Far East and Australasia 2012 is a survey of the countries of East and South-East Asia, Australia and New Zealand, along with 22 Pacific Islands. It is essential reading for anyone with a professional interest in the region and keeps users up-to-date with current political and economic developments.
The new 2012 edition provides detailed coverage of events over the past year, including:
- elections in May 2011 and appointment of a new cabinet in Singapore
- the devastating tsunami in Japan in March 2011 and the release of radioactive material from the damaged nuclear power plant
- the unexpected resignation of the Primer Minister of Laos, Bouasone Bouphavanh, in December 2010, and subsequent appointment of Thongsing Thammavong
- the North Korean assault on the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong last November.
Written by acknowledged authorities on the Pacific Rim, this collection of essays forms an impartial overview of the area as a whole. Topics include: China's Rise: Evaluation and Implications; The USA’s Relations with the Asia-Pacific Region; The Security Challenges of East and South-East Asia; Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region; and Environmental Issues of the Asia-Pacific Region.
Individual chapters on each country containing:
- essays on geography, history and the economy
- an economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications and education
- a directory of names, addresses and contact details covering the constitution, government, legislature, election commission, political organizations, diplomatic representation, judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade, industry, tourism, defence and education
- a select bibliography.
An entire section of the volume is dedicated to the Pacific Islands. This includes specially commissioned essays examining issues of particular importance to the Pacific Islands.
- includes all major international organizations active in the region, their aims, activities, publications and principal personnel
- a detailed survey of major commodities in Asia and the Pacific
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- select bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Far East and Australasia
- an index of regional organizations.
'An excellent reference work which no library should be without.' - International Affairs
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General