This comprehensive survey of the countries of East and South-East Asia, Australia and New Zealand, along with 22 Pacific islands, fully revised to reflect current economic and political developments, is an essential resource for the Asia-Pacific region.
New content for the 2014 edition includes:
- in-depth analysis of the tensions on the Korean peninsula, following the imposition of UN sanctions on North Korea in response to its third nuclear test
- details of the transition to a new generation of leadership in the People’s Republic of China, led by President Xi Jinping
- coverage of recent legislative and presidential elections, including those in Cambodia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines
Calendar of Political Events
A calendar of events provides a convenient reference guide to the year’s main political developments
Written by leading experts, this collection of essays provides incisive analysis of regional issues. Topics include the rise of China, relations between the USA and the Asia-Pacific region, the security challenges of East and South-East Asia, inter-Korean relations, a survey of environmental affairs in the region and new essays examining the importance of ASEAN-led regional architecture and exploring the refugee politics of Australia .
Individual chapters on each country containing:
- essays on geography, history and the economy
- an economic and demographic survey of the latest available statistics on population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications and education
- a comprehensive directory of names and contact details covering the most significant political, financial and commercial institutions
- a country-specific bibliography
An entire section is dedicated to the Pacific islands, including specially commissioned essays examining the contemporary politics of the islands, their economies, security concerns and the environmental issues confronting them
- includes all major international organizations active in the region, their aims, activities, publications and principal personnel
- a detailed survey of major commodities in Asia and the Pacific
- a directory of research institutes specializing in the region
- select bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Asia-Pacific region
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Regionalism in Asia. China’s Rise: Evolution and Implications. The Korean Peninsula: Conflict and Dialogue. The USA and the Pivot to Asia. The Security Challenges of East and South-East Asia. Australia’s Refugee Politics. Environmental Issues of the Asia-Pacific Region. Part 2: Country Surveys. Australia. Brunei. Cambodia. The People's Republic of China. Chinese Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong. Macao. Indonesia. Japan. Korea. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The Republic of Korea. Laos. Malaysia. Mongolia. Myanmar (Burma). New Zealand. The Pacific Islands. The Philippines. Singapore. Taiwan. Thailand. Timor-Leste (East Timor). Viet Nam. Part 3: Regional Information. Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Asia and the Pacific. Calendars and Time Reckoning. Research Institutes Studying the Far East and Australasia. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals). Index of Regional Organizations. Index of Territories.
"An excellent reference work that no library should be without."
– International Affairs
"... a superb resource which should be in the reference section of any serious research library."
– Pacific Affairs
"... the directory on government agencies, trade associations, major companies and much else will assist even the seasoned observer of the Asia Pacific."
– Asia Pacific Business Review
"The best publication of its type."
– Defence and Foreign Affairs
"This annual one-volume publication is a masterly piece of work, containing a wealth of information."
– Reference Reviews
"... an indispensable reference work."
– World Affairs Report