This book is aimed at giving novice coders an understanding of the methods and techniques used in professional games development. Designed to help develop and strengthen problem solving and basic C/C++ skills, it also will help to develop familiarity targeting and using fixed/restricted hardware, which are key skills in console development. It allows the reader to increase their confidence as game programmers by walking them through increasingly involved game concepts, while maintaining the understanding that despite the increased complexity, the core methods remain consistent with the advancement of the technology; the technology only enhances the gaming experience. It also demonstrates underlying principles of game coding in practical step by step ways to increase exposure and confidence in game coding concepts.
- Increases the confidence of new coders by demonstrating how to get things done.
- Introduces evolving projects to reinforce concepts, both directly and indirectly that the reader will use to produce and then enhance the project.
- Provides tutorials on Graphics API’s that can be easily understood by a novice.
- Demystifies hardware used to gain new effects without blinding the user to the technical wizardry going on under the system.
- Gives a sense of achievement to the reader and pushes them toward improvement.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Getting Started
Chapter 2. Getting Our Target Ready
Chapter 3. Using the Target
Chapter 4. Putting It All Together
Chapter 5. Finally Our First Games
Chapter 6. A New Third Dimension
Chapter 7. Space the Final Frontier
Chapter 8. Recognizable Environments
Chapter 9. Let’s Go Indoors
Chapter 10. Graphics Need a Boost
Chapter 11. Populating the World
Chapter 12. Some Advanced Stuff
Brian Beuken is currently a Docent (Lecturer) at NHTV/Breda University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands where he teaches game and console programming. Formerly Programmer/Project Manager and Head of Development at Rockpool Games Ltd, Manchester,UK. Also Managing Director/Studio Head/Executive Producer at Virtucraft Ltd/Virtucraft Studios Ltd, Bolton. He developed games for multiple companies, including Nintendo, EA, Sega, THQ, Codemasters and many more.