The Future of the Liberal Order
The Key Questions
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after April 29, 2022
This book brings together some of the finest minds of social science to answer the great questions about the future of the liberal order.
With contributions from the world of economics, sociology, political science, management, international relations and the humanities, this book provides a unique series of insights. Chapters explore the great questions of our time as they relate to the future of the liberal international and domestic order. Contemporary issues such as populisms, authoritarianism, trust and social cohesion, the future of global governance, finance, religion, and citizenship are addressed along with geopolitical implications and with a balance between expert authority and open-minded critique.
It will be essential reading for students, scholars, and reflective practitioners across the human and social sciences.
Table of Contents
1. The Future of the Liberal Order and the Great Questions of Our Time
Helmut K. Anheier
Part I The Domestic Liberal Order and Fundamental Issues
2. How to Square the Circle between Economic Globalization, Social Cohesion, and Liberal Democracy?
Alexandru Filip and Helmut K. Anheier
3. Why the Future of the Liberal Order Is in Danger and What We Can Do to Safeguard It
Beverly Crawford Ames
4. What Future for Politics?
5. What Future for the Economic Consensus?
6. How Do Divided Societies Come About?
7. Dilemmas of Citizenship in the Twenty-first Century: Does the Middle East Show Us the Future?
8. Can We Trust Public Administration?
9. Is Religion Dead?
10. How Do Culture and Liberty Relate?
Roland Bernecker and Ronald Grätz
Part II The International Liberal Order and World Society
11. Is Effective Multilateralism Possible?
12. Do We Still Need a Political Vision in a Globalized World?
13. Has COVID Changed the Financial System for Good (or Ill)?
14. Do We Need a Collective Social Conscience?
15. Can a Planet in Peril Contain Geopolitical Rivalries?
16. Conclusion: The Future of the Liberal Order
Helmut K. Anheier
Helmut K. Anheier is Professor of Sociology and past president at the Hertie School, Germany, and on the faculty of the Luskin School of Public Affairs, University of California, Los Angeles, USA.