The Gender Pay Gap Understanding the Numbers
Closing the gender pay gap begins with awareness and understanding of the state of the gap. This hybrid book that serves as a resource for both the academic and corporate communities, builds the reader’s awareness of the gender pay gap, its magnitude and ramifications, and provides action plans to address the challenge.
Much of the existing literature on the gender pay gap provides an excellent foundation in stating facts and inferences; yet, the reader is often left wondering "now what?" This book tells the story of the state of the gap by the numbers and then offers specific actions that can be taken to achieve equity. The authors combine backgrounds in statistics and management/HR to provide a unique perspective in painting a broader overview of the issue, examining the history of the gender pay gap, its global impact, and how nations are addressing the issue. The book shines a light on the wide-ranging effects of the gap, including women’s poverty rates, student loans, economic growth, childhood poverty, and corporate profits, and offers insights to help close it with best practices of select organizations.
Upper-level undergraduate, postgraduate, and executive education students will appreciate the clarity and conciseness of this guide to understanding and solving an important human resources issue. The inclusion of a brief instructor’s manual and PowerPoint slides for each chapter differentiates this book and adds to the ease of adoption in both the academic and corporate setting.
1. The Gender Pay Gap and its Evolution over Time
2. The Scope of the Gender Pay Gap
3. A Lifetime Impact: Losses over a Woman’s Working Life
4. Why does the Gender Pay Gap Persist?
5. The Adjusted Gender Pay Gap: Explainable and Unexplainable Factors
6. Closing the Gender Pay Gap: Sooner or Later?
7. The Impact of the Gender Pay Gap: An Economic Imperative
8. Policies and Recommendation to Address the Gender Pay Gap
9. Best Practices: What Can We Learn from Companies with a Small or No Gender Pay Gap?
10. The Global Gender Pay Gap: The State of the Gap and Policies in Different Countries