The Genius Hour Guidebook
Fostering Passion, Wonder, and Inquiry in the Classroom
Promote your students’ creativity and get them excited about learning! In the second edition of this popular, practical book, authors Denise Krebs and Gallit Zvi show you how to implement Genius Hour, a time when students can develop their own inquiry-based projects around their passions and take ownership of their work. Brought to you by MiddleWeb and Routledge Eye On Education, the book takes you step-by-step through planning and teaching Genius Hour. You’ll learn how to guide your students as they:
● inspire learning and brainstorm wonders;
● develop inquiry questions based on their interests;
● conduct research and experiments about their topic of choice;
● create presentations to teach their fellow students in creative ways; and
● present their finished product for a final assessment.
This edition includes new chapters on managing your classroom projects and recommended books. Throughout the book you will find voices from the Genius Hour community sharing real-life stories and inspiration. Appendices contain handy FAQs and ready-made lessons and resources. In addition, a companion website, www.geniushourguide.org, offers bonus materials and regular updates to support you as you implement Genius Hour in your own classroom.
Table of Contents
1. Genius Hour and Why Students Need It 2. Introducing Genius Hour to Your Class 3. The Launch: Diving In and Letting Go 4. Great Picture Books for Genius Hour Kids 5. Loosening Deadlines and Sharing Passions 6. Managing the Genius Hour Classroom and Projects 7. Helping Kids Make Their Learning Visible 8. Teaching about Self-Assessment and Feedback 9. What Can We Do to Improve the World? 10. Adding All Our Voices to the Genius Hour Movement
Denise Krebs teaches English to grade 5 students in a bilingual Arabic-English school in Bahrain.
Gallit Zvi is a teacher in a grade 4–7 multi-age classroom in Surrey, BC, Canada.
Denise Krebs (@mrsdkrebs) and Gallit Zvi (@gallit_z) are co-moderators of the Twitter chat group #geniushour.