The History of the International Biometric Society
The International Biometric Society (IBS) was formed at the First International Biometric Conference at Woods Hole on September 6, 1947. The History of the International Biometric Society presents a deep dive into the voluminous archival records, with primary focus on IBS’s first fifty years. It contains numerous photos and extracts from the archival materials, and features many photos of important leaders who served IBS across the decades.
- Describes events leading up to and at Woods Hole on September 6, 1947 that led to the formation of IBS
- Outlines key markers that shaped IBS after the 1947 formation through to the modern day
- Describes the regional and national group structure, and the formation of regions and national groups
- Describes events surrounding the key scientific journal of IBS, Biometrics, including the transfer of ownership to IBS, content, editors, policies, management, and importance
- Describes the other key IBS publications – Biometric Bulletin, Journal of Agricultural Biological and Environmental Statistics, and regional publications
- Provides details of International Biometric Conferences and key early symposia
- Describes IBS constitution and by-laws processes, and the evolution of business arrangements
- Provides a record of international officers, including regional presidents, national group secretaries, journal editors, and the locations of meetings
- Includes a gallery of international Presidents, and a gallery of Secretaries and Treasurers
The History of the International Biometric Society will appeal to anyone interested in the activities of our statistical and biometrical forebearers. The focus is on issues and events that engaged the attention of the officers of IBS. Some of these records are riveting, some entertaining, some intriguing, and some colorful. Some of the issues covered were difficult to handle, but even these often resulted in changes that benefited IBS.
Foreword. Gallery of Presidents. 1 Introduction. 2 In the Beginning – Woods Hole. 3 After Woods Hole. 4 Regional Structure and Early Regions. 5 Growth with More Regions 1949-1958. 6 Growth from 1959 - More Regions, National Groups and Networks. 7 Publications - Biometrics. 8 Later Publications. 9 Scientific Meetings. 10 Governance, Constitution, and Management. 11 Post-1997. 12 For the Record. Appendix. Gallery of Secretaries and Treasurers.