The Home in the Digital Age is a set of multidisciplinary studies exploring the impact of digital technologies in the home, with a shift of emphasis from technology to the people living and using this in their homes.
The book covers a wide variety of topics on the design, introduction and use of digital technologies in the home, combining the technological dimension with the cognitive, emotional, cultural and symbolic dimensions of the objects that incorporate digital technologies and project them onto people’s lives. It offers a coherent approach, that of the home, which gives unity to the discussion.
Scholars of the home, the house and the family will find here the connection with the problems derived from the use of domestic robots and connected devices. Students of artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, big data and other branches of digital technologies will find ideas and arguments to apply their disciplines to the home and participate fruitfully in forums where digital technologies are built and negotiated in the home. Experts from various disciplines ・ psychologists and sociologists; philosophers, epistemologists and ethicists; economists; engineers, architects, urban planners and designers and so on ・ and also those interested in developing policies for the home and family will find this book contains well-founded and useful ideas to focus their work.
Bryan K. Sanderson, Home Renaissance Foundation
Carlos P. Cavallé, Social Trends Institute
1. Introduction: The Home in the Digital Age
Antonio Argandoña, Joy Malala and Richard C. Peatfield
2. Digital Home: The Missing Element for a People-Centered Digital Future
Mei Lin Fung and Deborah Gale
3. Artificial Intelligence-Empowered Technology in the Home
Matilde Santos and Francesca Toni
4. Contested Homes in the Age of the Cloud: The Changing Socio-Spatial Dynamics of Family Living and Care for Older People in the 21st Century
Mohamed Gamal Abdelmonem
5. Homes as Human-Robots Ecologies. An Epistemological Inquiry on the "Domestication" of Robots
6. Homes through the Design Shift in the Digital Age
Ioana Ocnarescu and Dominique Sciamma
7. Automation, the Home, and Work
Stephen Davies and Maria Sophia Aguirre
8. The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Future of Work
Mia Mikic and Joy Malala
9. Ethics and Digital Technologies in the Home
The Home in the Digital Age is a book that has courageously undertaken the challenge of exploring the impact of digital technologies within a specific and complex context: the domestic space. [T]he arguments covered in this book prove the urgent necessity to expand and methodize the “home–digital” combination.
—Chiara Lecce (2022) 'Book Review: The Home in the Digital Age', Home Cultures, 19:2, 159-164, DOI: 10.1080/17406315.2022.2133886