Many educators appreciate the value of interest-based learning, but struggle with the management and facilitation of individual and small-group projects in a limited space and time allocation. This easy-to-read guide:
- Features a step-by-step plan for managing Genius Hour, passion projects, Makerspaces, and more.
- Includes time-saving planning templates, checklists, and charts.
- Supports students' intrinsic motivation for learning, agency, voice, and problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Provides a systematic and practical approach to interest-based learning.
- Can be implemented and adapted by an individual teacher, department, or team.
Chapters also include techniques for helping students identify their interests, frame their goals and questions, create project plans and timelines, self-assess their progress, and share their work with real-world audiences.
Table of Contents
Foreword Introduction Chapter 1 Interest-Based Learning and Its Counterparts Chapter 2 Ensuring a Strong Foundation Chapter 3 Vision Making and Sharing Chapter 4 Measuring the Impact of Interest-Based Learning Chapter 5 Finding Interests Chapter 6 Focusing Interests Chapter 7 Developing an Action Plan Chapter 8 Finding and Managing Resources Chapter 9 Research, Development, and Design Chapter 10 Developing Real-World Products Chapter 11 Engaging Authentic Audiences Chapter 12 Reflecting, Debriefing, and Celebrating References Appendix A: Case Studies Appendix B: Background Research and Theories Appendix C: Interest Surveys Appendix D: Product Finder About the Authors
Jeanne H. Purcell, Ph.D., completed her B.A. at the University of Hartford in British literature, and 2 years later she finished a master's degree in urban education. In 1993 she completed a Ph.D. in educational psychology at the University of Connecticut.
Deborah E. Burns, Ph.D., earned her B.S. from Michigan State University, her M.S. degree from Ashland (OH) University, and her Ph.D. from the University of Connecticut. In September 2018, Deb celebrated 45 years of delightful and diverse experiences within the education community.