This book, based on extensive, original, detailed research presents a comprehensive overview of the Italian multinationals and their activities during the 1990s. It:
- surveys the size, geographical and sectoral distribution of Italian multinationals
- examines why they went international, how and what they gained
- discusses the strategic position of Italian multinationals in the world economy
- examines the effect of multinationals investment both inward and outward on the Italian economy
- provides detail on individual companies
Table of Contents
Acknowledgements. Introduction. 1. Patterns of International Specialisation and Technological Competitiveness in Italian Manufacturing Industry. Fabrizio Onida. 2. Size and Trends of Italian Direct Investment Abroad: A Quantitative Assessment Gianfranco Viesti. 3. Geographical and Sectoral Pattern of Italian Direct Investment Abroad Cesare Schieppati. 4. International Strategies of Italian Multinationals Gianfranco Viesti. 5. Italian Non-Equity Ventures Abroad: Evidence from Field Interviews Giovanni Balcet. 6. Technological Interdependence, Market Structure and the Pattern of International Growth of Italian Firms Gianfranco Viesti. 7. Italian Inward and Outward Direct Investment: A Comparison Sergio Mariotti. 8. Summary and Conclusions: Italy as an International Investo Fabrizio Onida and Gianfranco Viesti.