The Journalism Behind Journalism Going Beyond the Basics to Train Effective Journalists in a Shifting Landscape
Today’s journalists need to know both the skills of how to write, interview, and research, as well as skills that are often thought of as more intangible. This book provides a practical, how-to approach for developing, honing, and practicing the intangible skills critical to strong journalism.
Individual chapters introduce journalism’s intangible concepts such as curiosity, empathy, implicit bias, community engagement, and tenacity, relating them to solid journalistic practice through real-world examples. Case studies and interviews with industry professionals help to further establish connections between concept and practice, and mid-chapter and end-of-chapter exercises give the reader a concrete pathway toward developing these skills. The book offers an important perspective for the modern media landscape, where any journalist seeking to make an impact must know how to contextualize events, hold power to account, and inform their community to contribute to a healthy democracy.
This is an invaluable text for courses in journalism skills at both the undergraduate and graduate level and anyone training the next generation of journalists.
1. Introduction: The Who, What, When, Where, and Why of Intangibles
SECTION 1: INTERNAL INTANGIBLES
2. Cultivating Curiosity: The Foundation of Exceptional Journalism
3. Empathy, Solidarity, & Compassion: Covering Subjects Fairly & Countering Echo Chambers
4. Good Stewards: Facing Our Implicit & Unconscious Biases
5. The Intrepid Journalist: Tapping into Tenacity, Doggedness, & Resourcefulness
SECTION 2: LOOKING OUTWARD
6. Community Engagement: Identify, Connect, & Engage (but don’t pander!)
7. Inclusive Writing & Storytelling: Speaking the Language of Your Communities
8. Speaking Truth to Power: Embracing the Journalist’s Accountability Role
SECTION 3: CONTEXTUALIZING YOUR PRACTICE
9. The Importance of Stepping Away: Managing Safety, Trauma, & Self- Care in Journalism
10. Navigating & Understanding the Journalism Industry & Operationalizing Your Passion