The Language of Magazines:
*shows how linguistic techniques such as puns and presuppositions are used by magazines to capture our attention
*examines how image and text combine to produce meaning
*discusses how ideological messages are conveyed
*analyses how the sexes are constructed through language
*looks at how magazines relate to culture
*explores a wide variety of magazines, including Cosmopolitan, Mens Health, Bliss, Diva, FHM, Sugar and Viz.
'This book is a helpful textbook for students of language and linguistics … it is very easy to read and as such also a useful and entertaining book to everybody who wants to view his or her magazines a bit more critically.' - Irmeli Helin, Linguist List
About the Series
The series consists of a foundation text, Working With Texts: A Core Introduction to Language Analysis, which looks at language aspects essential for the analysis of texts, and a range of satellite texts. These apply aspects of language to a particular topic area in more detail. They complement the core text and can also be used alone, providing the user has the foundation skills provided by the core text.
Benefits of using this series:
* Unique - written by a team of respected teachers and practitioners whose ideas and activities have also been trialled independently
* Multi-disciplinary - provides a foundation for the analysis of texts, supporting students who want to achieve a detailed focus on language
* Accessible - no previous knowledge of language analysis is assumed
* Comprehensive - wide coverage of different genres: literary texts, notes, memos, signs, advertisements, leaflets, speeches, conversation
* Student-friendly - contains suggestions for further reading; activities relating to texts studied; commentaries after activities; key terms highlighted and an index of terms
This accessible series, written by an outstanding team of authors, experienced in language teaching, curriculum development, examining and writing, provides ideas and activities arising from experience and practice. Each title has multi-disciplinary appeal but will be particularly useful to A-Level students and teachers and to undergraduates of English Language, Linguistics or English Literature. They will also be of interest to teachers and students of EFL and ESL language courses.
Working With Texts: A Core Book for Language Analysis, Ronald Carter, Angela Goddard, Maggie Bowring, Danuta Reah, Keith Sanger
The Language of Advertising Angela Goddard, The Language of Fiction Keith Sanger, The Language of Humour Alison Ross, The Language of Newspapers Danuta Reah, The Language of Poetry John McRae, The Language of Sport Adrian Beard.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General