The Language of Patient Feedback provides a unique insight into a diverse range of issues related to healthcare. Through the comprehensive and detailed interrogation of 29 million words of online patient feedback on the NHS in England, as well as 11 million words of responses to the feedback from NHS providers, this book:
- Uses a combination of computer-assisted and human analysis (Corpus-Assisted Discourse Analysis) to examine the extent to which characteristics like age and gender result in different types of evaluation.
- Investigates why nurses, doctors, dentists and receptionists are associated with very distinct types of feedback.
- Demonstrates the ways that NHS staff respond to comments and what this reveals about underlying institutional ideologies and practices.
- Concludes with suggestions for key recommendations that the NHS could act upon to improve the overall level of care it provides, as well as reflecting on what patient evaluation can actually tell us.
The Language of Patient Feedback is key reading for anyone undertaking research within corpus linguistics, discourse analysis and health communication.
List of figures
List of tables
- Introduction: The NHS, patient feedback and corpus linguistics
- What seems to be the trouble?: Identifying key areas of patient concern
- On a scale of 1 to 5…: Comparing the rating scale with written feedback
- Rude receptionists, dismissive doctors and lovely nurses: Comparing NHS providers and staff
- I have been a patient with this surgery all my life: Age and evaluation
- Real men don’t feel pain: Language and gendered expectations
- Your feedback is important to us: Staff replies to patient feedback
- Conclusion: The health of the NHS
"Engaging and thought-provoking throughout, this corpus-assisted study of patient feedback combines theoretical discussions with a wealth of empirical and practical insights. It will be of great interest to linguistics and communication scholars as well as health practitioners."
Nelya Koteyko, Queen Mary University of London, UK