The Language of Sport:
* looks in detail at the language of sports-talk including commentary and 'new sportswriting'
* explores linguistic representation of related issues such as gender, national/regional identity
* examines the way sport sells itself as an agent of social cohesion and as a way to sell other products
* includes BBC, ITV and radio transcripts of such sporting events as Euro '96
'Beard's book is a welcome addition not only to A-Level English Language courses, at which it is aimed, but also to the literature concerned with mediated sport. The book is clearly written, and is conveniently structured into 'units.' - Culture, Sport and Society
About the Series
The series consists of a foundation text, Working With Texts: A Core Introduction to Language Analysis, which looks at language aspects essential for the analysis of texts, and a range of satellite texts. These apply aspects of language to a particular topic area in more detail. They complement the core text and can also be used alone, providing the user has the foundation skills provided by the core text.
Benefits of using this series:
* Unique - written by a team of respected teachers and practitioners whose ideas and activities have also been trialled independently
* Multi-disciplinary - provides a foundation for the analysis of texts, supporting students who want to achieve a detailed focus on language
* Accessible - no previous knowledge of language analysis is assumed
* Comprehensive - wide coverage of different genres: literary texts, notes, memos, signs, advertisements, leaflets, speeches, conversation
* Student-friendly - contains suggestions for further reading; activities relating to texts studied; commentaries after activities; key terms highlighted and an index of terms
This accessible series, written by an outstanding team of authors, experienced in language teaching, curriculum development, examining and writing, provides ideas and activities arising from experience and practice. Each title has multi-disciplinary appeal but will be particularly useful to A-Level students and teachers and to undergraduates of English Language, Linguistics or English Literature. They will also be of interest to teachers and students of EFL and ESL language courses.
Working With Texts: A Core Book for Language Analysis, Ronald Carter, Angela Goddard, Maggie Bowring, Danuta Reah, Keith Sanger
The Language of Advertising Angela Goddard, The Language of Fiction Keith Sanger, The Language of Humour Alison Ross, The Language of Newspapers Danuta Reah, The Language of Poetry John McRae, The Language of Sport Adrian Beard.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General