Ludwig Leichhardt is chiefly known as the most important of the scientific explorers of Australia. His lively but detailed letters provide a narrative of his life from his student days in the mid-1830s until 1848 when he disappeared in the Australian interior. Leichhardt's main interest was natural philosophy, particularly biology, geology and geography, but as a scholar of nature in the widest sense, he closely observed and recorded many aspects of the surrounding world, describing social life in early Victorian England and commenting on some of the leading teachers and philosophers of the day. However, the primary purpose of his studies in German, England, Paris and Naples was to equip himself as a scientific explorer. The idea of exploring Australia was evolved and closely planned with his great friend William Nicholson. Leichhardt sailed for Australia in 1841. Volume 2 of this work describes his scientific reconnaissance in eastern Australia, undertaken alone during 2 years. The final volume is concerned with his major explorations: the successful expedition to Port Essington in northern Australia, during which he investigated the topography, geology and botany of the country, and his last two attempts to cross the continent from East to West. His last party disappeared without trace in 1848. Mr Aurousseau has collected together all Leichhardt's known letters, and translated those written in German, French or Italian. He provides a brief account of Leichhardt's life, a chronology of his movements and a bibliography of works relating to him. Leichhardt has been the object of much ill-informed criticism, and the editor's main purpose is to establish an authentic text, enabling the man to speak for himself. These letters also prepare the way for the publication of Leichhardt's journal. Full texts of all letters, together with translations of those in German, French and Italian. This volume covers the years of scientific reconnaissance in Australia, 1842-4, around Sydney and Newcastle, in the Hunter-Goulburn valley, and to the Moreton Bay district. Continued from volume 133 and in voume 135, with which the main pagination is continuous. This is a new print-on-demand hardback edition of the volume first published in 1968.
Contents: The Letters [continued]; Maps; Appendices.
Routledge is pleased to be the publisher for the Hakluyt Society.
The Hakluyt Society has for its object the advancement of knowledge and education, particularly in relation to the understanding of world history. The society publishes scholarly editions of primary sources on the 'Voyages and Travels' undertaken by individuals from many parts of the globe. These address the geography, ethnology and natural history of the regions visited, covering all continents and every period over the last two thousand years. Such texts, many previously available only in manuscript or in unedited publications in languages other than English, are the essential records of the stages of inter-continental and inter-cultural encounter.
Established in 1846, the Society has to date published over 350 volumes. All editions are in English. Although a substantial number of the Society's past editions relate to British ventures, with documentary sources in English, the majority concern non-British enterprises and are based on texts in languages other than English. Material originally written in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French or Dutch has regularly appeared, material in Russian, Greek, Latin, Ethiopic, Chinese, Persian or Arabic occasionally.
All editions contain an introduction and scholarly annotation, giving both the general reader and the student a degree of assistance in understanding the material and providing guidance on the relevance of the episodes described, within the context of global development and world history. Volumes are often generously furnished with maps and contemporary illustrations.
Information about the Society may be obtained from the Administrative Assistant at the following address:
Hakluyt Society, c/o Map Library, The British Library, 96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DG, UK