Now in its fifty-fourth edition, this title continues to provide the most up-to-date geo-political and economic information for this important world area. The volume covers:
- the Middle East and North Africa from Algeria to Yemen
- offers quick access to a wide range of data
- accurately and impartially records the latest political and economic developments
- provides comprehensive data on all major organizations in the region.
- Introductory essays cover topics relating to the region as a whole, including: Arab–Israeli Relations 1967–2007; The Jerusalem Issue; Documents on Palestine; Nuclear Proliferation in the Middle East; Oil; Natural Gas; and Islamic Banking and Finance.
- Individual chapters on each country containing: articles on geography, recent history and economy; an economic and demographic survey using all the latest available statistics on population, agriculture, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, and education; directory sections with names, addresses and contact numbers covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry (including petroleum), and tourism.
- includes all major international organizations active in the region, their aims, activities, publications and principal personnel
- research institutes specializing in the region
- bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Middle East and North Africa.
'A unique, up-to-date and authoritative guide.' - BBC Radio Review
'There is simply nothing else on the market that provides as much material on each of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa in one volume.' - Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies