Now in its sixty-first edition, this title continues to provide the most up-to-date geo-political and economic information for this important world area.
New for 2015:
- a brand new essay on the prospects for Kurdish autonomy and independence
- full details and analysis of the accession of Abd al-Fatah al-Sisi to the Egyptian presidency
- extensive coverage of the ongoing conflict between Government and opposition forces in Syria, and of the political and military crisis in Iraq
- covers the Middle East and North Africa from Algeria to Yemen
- includes topical contributions from acknowledged experts on regional affairs
- accurately and impartially records the latest political and economic developments
- provides comprehensive data on all major organizations active in the countries of the region.
- introductory essays cover a wide range of topics relating to the region as a whole.
Individual chapters on each country incorporating:
- essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy
- an extensive statistical survey of economic and social indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory with names, addresses and contact details covering the constitution, government, legislature, political organizations, election commissions, diplomatic representation, judiciary, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry (including petroleum and natural gas), tourism, defence and education
- a country-specific bibliography, providing suggestions for further research.
- includes all major international organizations active in the Middle East and North Africa; research institutes specializing in the region; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
‘If one had to choose a single book for understanding the contemporary Middle East, then surely this must be that book.’ – The Middle East
‘There is simply nothing else on the market that provides as much material on each of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa in one volume.’ – Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies
‘Probably the best one-volume reference book in English on the Middle East and North Africa.’ – International Affairs
‘We have praised successive issues of this work so regularly that is becomes difficult to think up new eulogies, deserved though they are.’ – World Affairs Report
‘It is an excellent source of reference … strongly recommended for scholars, government officials and businessmen.’ – Middle East Business Review
‘You could enquire within for pretty well anything relating to the region and get an answer.’ – Times Literary Supplement
Part 1: General Survey Arab-Israeli Relations 1967 - 2-14 Paul Cossali Documents on Palestine Regional Nuclearization: Unabated Pressures (Nuclear Proliferation in the Middle East) James H. Wyllie Political Islam George Joffe An Overview of Recent Kurdish Progress Towards Autonomy and Independence Micheal M. Gunter Oil in the Middle East and North Africa Simon Chapman Oil Statistics Natural Gas in the Middle East and North Africa Simon Chapman Gas Statistics The Religions of the Middle East and North Africa Islam R. B. Serjeant Christianity Judaism Other Communities Part 2: Country Surveys Includes sections on geography, history and economy, as well as statistical surveys, directories and bibliographies for each country Part 3: Regional Information Regional Organizations. Calendars. Research Institutes. Select Bibliography (Books). Select Bibliography (Periodicals). Index of Regional Organizations.