© 2002 – Routledge
The new edition of this well established handbook provides up-to-date information on a topic of increasing importance across a range of disciplines and practices. It covers:
* the debate concerning children's rights and developments in rights provision over the last twenty years
* the impact of recent British legislation on children's rights in key areas such as education, social and welfare services and criminal justice
* the key provisions of the UN Convention and Human Rights Act
* recent policy proposals and initiatives in the British setting intended to establish and promote rights for children and young people
* the rights claims of particular groups of children, for example children who are carers or children who are disabled
* children's claims for particular rights such as the right to space, to sex education and citizenship
* the ways in which the voices of children and young people are or might be articulated more clearly in policy debates and other arenas
* issues and developments in Europe, Scandinavia and China.
The New Handbook of Children's Rights offers a comprehensive and radical appraisal of the field which will be invaluable to students and professionals alike.
'What makes this book so invaluable is not only its consideration of often ignored children … but also its global perspectives. This is an essential textbook for anyone concerned with the inherent rights of children.' - Community Care
'Provides important information related to a myriad of legal, ethical, and moral issues that are relevant to the lives of children … an invaluable resource tool for professionals or volunteers working with youth in any capacity.' - Journal of Family Studies, Vol 8/2
Part One: Children's Rights: An Overview 1. The Case for Children's Rights Part Two: Children's Rights: The Changing Legal Framework 2. Children's Educational Rights 3. Children's Rights and the Children Act 1989 4. Children's Rights and The Criminal Justice Acts 5. Children's Rights in a Land of Rites: The UN Convention 6. Children's Rights and the Human Rights Act Part Three: Children's Rights: Cases of Action 7. Children's Rights to Consent to Medical Treatment 8. Rights for Children who are Disabled 9. The Rights and Wrongs of People Who Care 10. Rights for Children who are Refugees 11. Medicalising Children's Behaviour 12. Children's Rights to Public Space: Environment and Curfews 13. Rights to Sex Education / Sexual Orientation Part Four: Children's Rights: Listening to Children and People's Voices 14. A Commissioner for Children 15. Children and Citizenship 16. Involving Young People in Research 17. Children's Express 18. Teenage Mothers: The Rights and Needs of Young Mothers in Northern Ireland 19. Children's Rights and Save the Children's Centre for Young Children's Rights Part Five: Children's Rights: Comparative Perspectives 20. The Scandinavian Experience of Children's Rights 21. The Flemish Children's Rights Commissioner 22. Children's Rights in China 23. Respecting Children's Rights to Physical Integrity 24. Outside Childhood: Street Children's Rights 25. Children's Rights in Australia