Biomass pellets are a suitable fuel type for a wide range of applications, from stoves and central heating systems up to large-scale plants, and with practically complete automation in all these capacities. This handbook, written and edited by experienced professionals from IEA Bioenergy Task 32 in cooperation with Bios Bioenergiesysteme GmbH, Graz, Austria, other IEA Tasks and external experts, is the first comprehensive guide in English language covering all pellet related issues, as illustrated by the following list of topics covered by the book:
- international overview of standards for pellets
- evaluation of raw materials and raw material potentials
- quality and properties of pellets
- technical evaluation of the pellet production process and logistic aspects of pellet supply
- safety and health aspects for pellets during storage, handling and transportation
- technological evaluation of pellet furnace technologies and future developments
- economic and ecological evaluation of the pellet production process
- economic and ecological evaluation of pellet use in small-scale furnaces in the residential sector
- overview of international pellet markets and market developments
- international case studies for the use of pellets for energy generation
- latest trends concerning research and development in the pellet sector.
Extensively illustrated and packed with practical knowledge, this is the ultimate reference for anyone involved in or affected by this burgeoning industry. It addresses all the players of the pellet market, ranging from raw material producers or suppliers, pellet producers and traders, manufacturers of pellet furnaces and pelletization systems, installers, engineering companies, energy consultants and end users.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction 2. Definitions and Standards 3. Physio-chemical Characterisation of Raw Materials and Pellets 4. Pellet Production and Logistics 5. Safety Considerations and Health Concerns for Pellets During Storage, Handling and Transportation 6. Wood Pellet Combustion Technologies 7. Cost Analysis of Pellet Production 8. Cost Analysis of Pellet Utilisation in the Residential Heating Sector 9. Environmental Evaluation when using Pellets for Residential Heating Compared to other Energy Carriers 10. Current International Market Overview and Projections 11. Case Studies for the use of Pellets for Energy Generation 12. Research and Development
Prof., Dr. Ingwald Obernberger is the founder and general manager of BIOS BIOENERGIESYSTEME GmbH, a company active in R&D and engineering in the field of bioenergy. Since 1994 he has headed the research group 'Energetic Biomass Utilisation' at the Institute for Process and Particle Engineering, Graz University of Technology and since 1998 he has been a member of the Editorial Board of the international scientific journal Biomass and Bioenergy. He has published 6 books dealing with thermal biomass utilisation as well as more than 150 national and international publications and reports. Dipl.-Ing. Gerold Thek has worked at BIOS BIOENERGIESYSTEME GmbH since 2000 and since 2006 he has been project manager for national and international R&D projects in the field of bioenergy. His working areas and research activities are mainly focused on production and thermal utilisation of pellets, which has resulted in several publications in this field and formed the basis of this book.
'Undoubtedly the most comprehensive work ever produced on this subject ... Well illustrated and easy to read, the book will surely become the essential reference for our industry.' Gordon Murray, Executive Director, Wood Pellet Association of Canada 'In-depth like a PhD thesis and practical like a good tourist guide.' Remco Frenken, Senior Vice President Global Green Commodities at RWE trading 'A renowned group of experts have gathered to make this book a success by compiling today's knowledge on the subject available in research institutions and industry as well as in international networks. The Pellet Handbook is both a comprehensive text for teaching requirements and a reference for practitioners in pellet production and use.' Josef Spitzer, Chairman, Executive Committee, IEA Bioenergy 'The Pellet Handbook is undoubtedly the most comprehensive work ever produced on this subject and I highly recommend it to industry professionals who are engaged in the production, marketing, transportation, or consumption of wood pellets, as well as regulatory authorities, educators, and students. Well illustrated and easy to read, the book will surely become the essential reference for our industry.' Gordon Murray, Executive Director, Wood Pellet Association of Canada