Increasingly, personnel administrative duties within schools have been delegated to the local school principal. This accessible book arms school leaders with the knowledge and skills required to be an effective human resources leader and shows them how to fold these additional duties seamlessly into their daily routines. This practical resource provides school administrators with guidance on personnel selection, growth and development, orientation and placement, school climate, legal processes, leadership for classified staff and other important human resources processes.
• Grounded in extensive research and interviews with practicing principals
• Provides a wealth of examples, strategies, tips, and best practices for leading the human resources function at the school level
• Chapter exercises and case studies explore the skills and knowledge needed for effective human resource leadership
• Details the significance of developing a positive school climate
• Legal aspects of human resources administration are made digestible and understandable
"This book is very practical, easy to read, and replete with research. I would consider it an asset for all school leaders, as well as for those individuals studying effective human resources application in schools. This is an excellent compilation of guidelines for human resource development in schools."
--Jean Krieger, Adjunct Professor, University of Southern Mississippi, and Retired School Principal
"As an Assistant Principal ready to take the leap into becoming a principal, I found this book to be an enlightening and refreshing look into the important role of the principal as human resource leader."
--Pamela Crabb, Education Specialist and Assistant Principal, Orange County Public Schools, Florida
Chapter 1 The Principal as Human Resources Leader
Chapter 2 Leadership for Implementing the Human Resources Processes at the Local School Level
Chapter 3 Providing for Personal and Professional Growth and Development for All School Personnel
Chapter 4 School Climate: A School Principal’s Magic Wand
Chapter 5 Human Resources Administration and the Legal World of the School
Chapter 6 How the School Principal Can Actively Lead the Support Staff of the School