This book is the first to seriously consider quality issues in smaller firms, based upon well-conducted research and careful theorizing. Subjects covered include:
* the relevance of formal quality standards such as BS 5750 to small firms
* definitions and implementations of 'quality' in a business context, from formal standards to Total Quality Management
* interviews with a selected sample of over 150 owner-managers
* detailed case studies of small firms
* analysis of self-generated quality strategies
* the variety of formal methods of quality control.