The problem of gangs and gang subculture is a growing threat to the stability of neighborhoods and entire communities. During the past two decades, gang members have increasingly migrated from large urban centers to suburban areas and other countries. This book addresses the intricacies and diversities of street gangs, drawing on the expertise of high-ranking law enforcement officials monitoring terrorist activity and gang-related crimes as well as professional private investigators who have spent several decades investigating gangs and learning their subculture, lifestyle, motivations, and relationships.
Ideal for supplemental reading in gang violence courses on criminal justice, sociology, law, and psychology, this comprehensive anthology presents thorough coverage of a notoriously difficult subject. It explores the following key topics:
- Social, psychological, and criminal impact of street gangs on juveniles
- Psychology of gang membership and the pathways that lead into and out of gang culture
- Relationship between religion and dangerous criminal gangs
- How U.S.-based gangs are using technology to advance their operations
- Use of graffiti by street gangs
- Evolution of gangs and recommendations for preventing future growth
- Gang enhancement crimes and associated misconduct of police and prosecutors
Like any type of crime, street gang criminal activity cannot be totally eliminated. This book aims to provide a better understanding of gangs so that we can influence today’s potential gang members to make the right decisions for their sake and the sake of society.
Gang Life. Violence and Youth: A Growing Relationship? Effect of Gang Culture on Juveniles. Gang History. Religion and Criminal Gangs (A Perspective). Seven Pathways Into and Out of Gangs. Gang Culture in the United States. If Drug Abuse is the Answer then what is the Question? Use of Technology by US Gangs. Street Gang Graffiti. In Defense of a Gang Member: Sample Gang Expert Witness Report. Evolution of Gangs from the History to Today: Predictions and Recommendations for the Future. ‘Presumed Guilty" or "Dirtying up the Defendant": Criminal Gang Enhancement Prosecutions in California and Police/Prosecution Misconduct. Appendices.