The Reality of Brain Injury
Am I Still Me?
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after March 11, 2022
A respected medical professional, family man, and keen athlete, Andrew Tillyard had a full and active life until a vehicle crash changed it all. He sustained a serious head injury and was airlifted to the hospital where he worked, having only just survived. In this book, he recounts the raw, uncompromising struggles he faced to rebuild his life.
Based on regular blog entries throughout his rehabilitation, Andrew provides an authentic reflection of the lived experience at some of the key stages along the road to recovery, from pragmatic concerns about new daily difficulties, to wider concerns about his new place in life. He highlights the specific challenges and support he encountered as a person with a medical background who finds themselves in a healthcare system as a patient. With frank honesty, he takes readers beyond the simple message that things can and do improve, by demonstrating that negativity, bitterness, and occasional rage are all necessary parts of the journey. However, he also describes the many little victories that helped him to keep battling on, knowing there is always hope for the future. In particular, he narrates how he learnt to do things the doctors said he would never do, walking, reading, running, and ultimately writing this book. With the perspective of ten years in recovery, the book also charts a longer-term view of the ebb and flow of recovery.
This is essential reading for neuropsychologists, neurologists, and other rehabilitation therapists, as well as students in medicine, nursing, allied health, and neuropsychology. This is also a compelling and compassionate story for anyone who has survived a brain injury, who feels – as Andrew did at times – that life might not be worth living anymore, as it can show that there is always hope for the future.
Table of Contents
- How I Acquired My Brain Injury
- How I Coped Dealing with Carers
- How I Started to Find Inspiration After My Brain Injury
- How My Marriage Fell Apart After My Accident, And How I Came to Terms with It
- How Hard Work Helped My Mental Recovery Process
- How I Learned to Live A Life of Compromise After Brain Injury
- How Trauma Makes Us Reinvent Ourselves
- How I Proved That Almost Anything Is Possible After Brain Injury
- How to Go on Living A Life of Value After Trauma
- How to Find True Love and Happiness After Brain Injury?
- How I Learned to Keep Striving for Every Physical and Cognitive Improvement
Afterword - A happy ending?
Poems by Andrew Tillyard
Andrew Tillyard was an Intensive Care Physician Consultant and Associate Professor of Medical Ethics and Law. Since his injury he has dedicated himself to finding a new life with meaning, and ways to help others. This book is the next step in that process. Andrew is active on social media; and this book is largely based upon the blog ‘Am I Still Me’.