This remarkable volume highlights the importance of Production and Operations Management (POM) as a field of study and research contributing to substantial business and social growth. The editors emphasize how POM works with a range of systems—agriculture, disaster management, e-commerce, healthcare, hospitality, military systems, not-for-profit, retail, sports, sustainability, telecommunications, and transport—and how it contributes to the growth of each.
Martin K. Starr and Sushil K. Gupta gather an international team of experts to provide researchers and students with a panoramic vision of the field. Divided into eight parts, the book presents the history of POM, and establishes the foundation upon which POM has been built while also revisiting and revitalizing topics that have long been essential. It examines the significance of processes and projects to the fundamental growth of the POM field. Critical emerging themes and new research are examined with open minds and this is followed by opportunities to interface with other business functions. Finally, the next era is discussed in ways that combine practical skill with philosophy in its analysis of POM, including traditional and nontraditional applications, before concluding with the editors’ thoughts on the future of the discipline.
Students of POM will find this a comprehensive, definitive resource on the state of the discipline and its future directions.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Remarkable 500 Years of POM History
1. Evolution of the POM Discipline (Martin K. Starr, Sushil K. Gupta, and Christopher S. Tang)
Part II: Core POM Functions
2. Forecasting: State-of-the-Art in Research and Practice (Nada Sanders)
3. Aggregate Production Planning (Lee Krajewski)
4. Scheduling (Michael Pinedo and Kangbok Lee)
5. Inventory Management (Prem Vrat)
6. Quality Management (Peter Robertson)
7. Facilities Planning (Sundresh Heragu)
8. Manufacturing Strategy (Raffaella Cagliano and Federico Caniato)
Part III: Major POM Categories
9. Supply Chain Management (Henrique Correa)
10. POM and Manufacturing (Tinglong Dai and Sridhar Tayur)
11. Service Strategy and Design (Aleda Roth)
12. Product/Process Design and Technology Management (Cheryl Gaimon, Manpreet Hora, and Karthik Ramachandran)
13. Project Design and Management (Tyson Browning)
14. Lean Operations and Agile Systems (Pauline Found and James Lyons)
Part IV: Emerging Themes and Research Domains of POM
15. The Management of Start Ups (Nitin Joglekar, Sinan Erzurumlu, and Moren Levesque)
16. Sustainable Operations (Asoo J. Vakharia, Tharanga Rajapakshe, Lan Wang, and Arda Yenipazarli)
17. The Interdependence of Big Data and Operations Management (Kaushik Dutta, Subodha Kumar, and Abhijeet Ghoshal)
18. Logistics Clusters: Engines for Benefits, Employment and Environmental Innovation (Yossi Sheffi and Liliana Ri
Martin K. Starr is Distinguished Professor of Production and Operations Management Emeritus at Rollins College, and Emeritus Senior Professor of Operations Research, Management Science, and Operations Management at Columbia University, both in the USA. He is a past president of the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) and the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS). He is Director of Strategic Planning for POMS.
Sushil K. Gupta is Professor in the College of Business at Florida International University, USA, and an honorary professor at Universidad Ricardo Palma, Peru. He is one of the founding members and a past president of the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) and serves on the advisory board of the Production and Operations Management journal. He is the Executive Director of POMS.