The Routledge Companion to Studio Performance Practice
- Available for pre-order. Item will ship after August 24, 2021
The Routledge Companion to Studio Performance Practice is a unique, indispensable guide to the training methods of the world’s key theatre practitioners.
Compiling the practical work outlined in the popular Routledge Performance Practitioners series of guidebooks, each set of exercises has been edited and contextualised by an expert in that particular approach. Each chapter provides a taster of one practitioner’s work, answering the same key questions: ‘How did this artist work? How can I begin to put my understanding of this to practical use?’ Newly written chapter introductions put the exercises in context, explaining how they fit into the wider methods and philosophy of the practitioner in question.
All 21 volumes in the original series are represented in this volume, as well as specially commissioned new chapters on Tadashi Suzuki, Lee Strasberg, Stella Adler, Sandford Meisner, Antonin Artaid, and Joseph Graham.
Table of Contents
List of Figures
Notes on Contributors
1. STANISLAVSKI (1863-1938) – Bella Merlin
2. MEYERHOLD (1874-1940) – Jonathan Pitches
3. COPEAU (1879-1949) – Mark Evans
4. LABAN (1879-1958) – Karen K. Bradley
5. WIGMAN (1886 -1973) -- Mary Anne Santos Newhall
6. CHEKHOV (1891 -1955) – Franc Chamberlain
7. BRECHT (1898 -1956) – Meg Mumford
8. DECROUX (1898- 1991) – Thomas Leabhart
9. OHNO (1906-2010) and HIJIKATA (1928-1986) -- Sondra Fraleigh and Tamah Nakamura
10. LITTLEWOOD (1914 -2002) – Nadine Holdsworth
11. KANTOR (1915-1990) – Noel Witts
12. HALPRIN (b.1920) -- Libby Worth and Helen Poynor
13. LECOQ (1921-1999) -- Simon Murray and Thomas Prattki
14. BOAL (1931-2009) -- Frances Babbage
15. GROTOWSKI (1933-1999) James Slowiak and Jairo Cuesta
16. BARBA (b1936) -- Jane Turner
17. MNOUCHKINE (b. 1939) -- Helen Richardson with Judith G. Miller
18. BAUSCH (1940-2009) -- Royd Climenhaga
19. WILSON (b.1941) -- Maria Shevtsova
20. ABRAMOVIC (b.1946) --Mary Richards
21. LEPAGE (b. 1957) -- Aleksandar Saša Dundjerović
Franc Chamberlain is Professor Emeritus of Drama, Theatre and Performance at the University of Huddersfield UK and the series editor for Routledge Performance Practitioners.
Bernadette Sweeney is Professor of Theatre and Performance Studies at the School of Theatre & Dance at the University of Montana, USA and co-editor with Franc Chamberlain of the expanded Routledge Performance Practitioners series.