Once relegated to the dusty shelves of ancient muses, research and scholarship on entrepreneurship has exploded as a field of research, with impactful additions from a range of disciplines rendering the field a tricky one to traverse. The Routledge Companion to the Makers of Modern Entrepreneurship offers a comprehensive guide to entrepreneurship, providing an authoritative exploration of the key people and their ideas. This book tells the stories of the scholars who have set the standard and tone for thinking and analysing entrepreneurship.
Edited by two of the world’s leading entrepreneurship scholars, this comprehensive volume offers a platform for understanding and future research that is both state-of-the-art and authoritative. It expands on how modern entrepreneurship has developed, with a focus on the key "makers" of the field – including theories, such as social psychology; concepts, such as neuroeconomics; and types, such as political entrepreneurship.
The contributions to the collection are grouped into three sections:
- Emergence of Entrepreneurship Research
- Theories in Modern Entrepreneurship
- Concepts and Makers in Modern Entrepreneurship
This companion is essential reading for students and academics interested in entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial management and business management.
1. David B Audretsch and Erik E. Lehmann: Modern Makers of Entrepreneurship
2. Zoltan J. Acs: The Godfather of Entrepreneurship
3. Howard E. Aldrich: Fifty Years in the Making. My Career as a Scholar of Organizations and Entrepreneurship
4. David B. Audretsch: Roots & Wings
5. Sara Carter: The Effects of Business Ownership on People’s Lives
6. Marc Cowling: Back to the roots
7. Douglas J. Cumming and Silvio Vismara: A research journey into entrepreneurial finance
8. Per Davidsson: What an Opportunity!
9. Dimo Dimov: Getting "There" without Knowing Where I was Going. Only to Find … Myself Staring at the Future
10. Nicolai N. Foss: Judgement, The Theory of the Firm, and the Economics of Institutions: My contributions to the Entrepreneurship Field
11. Michael Fritsch: Entrepreneurship and Growth—A Personal Story
12. William B. Gartner: Anecdotes of Destiny
13. Peter G. Klein: My Contributions to Entrepreneurship Theory
14. Donald F. Kuratko: Corporate Entrepreneurship - A Research Journey
15. Albert N. Link: From Integrating Functions to Integrating Ideas
16. Olav Sorenson: Location Matters
17. Roy Thurik: Visions of the past: wish you had been there
18. Mary Lindenstein Walshok: A Place for Entrepreneurship
19. Friederike Welter: Wandering between Contexts
20. Johan Wiklund: RE-SEARCH = ME-SEARCH
21. Mike Wright: The Conquest of Interestingness - Entrepreneurial Ownership Mobility
22. Shaker A. Zahra: Researching Entrepreneurship at the Intersection – Reflections on Three Decades of Research
'Instead of presenting new research findings in entrepreneurship, this new book provides interesting stories about many of the luminary scholars in the field of entrepreneurship. Their intellectual and academic journeys are interesting and shed light on how entrepreneurship emerged as a genuine cross-disciplinary field of research.' - Robert Fairlie, Professor, University of California, Santa Cruz, USA
'The autobiographical essays in this unique book reveal the passions and motivations of the scholars whose works created the surge in entrepreneurship research, and it provides an essential history of the thinkers and their thoughts' - John T. Scott, Professor of Economics, Dartmouth College, USA
'This book is an extraordinary guide to the mysterious world of entrepreneurship. It is an attempt at defining a non-disciplinary area, born like a new country with blurred boundaries open to continuous contamination. Exploring entrepreneurship is often finding something that is necessary but never sufficient to define it. Despite this, a new community has grown around it. This book presents a cultural challenge (not only to academia) that will fit our agenda in the decades to come.' - Stefano Paleari, Full Professor of Finance, University of Bergamo, Italy