The Routledge Handbook of Teaching English to Young Learners celebrates the ‘coming of age’ for the field of research in primary-level English Language Teaching. With 32 chapters written by international scholars from a wide geographical area including East Africa, Mexico, the South Pacific, Japan, France, the USA and the UK, this volume draws on areas such as second language acquisition, discourse analysis, pedagogy and technology to provide:
- An overview of the current state of the field, identifying key areas of TEYL.
- Chapters on a broad range of subjects from methodology to teaching in difficult circumstances and from Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) to gaming.
- Suggestions of ways forward, with the aim of shaping the future research agenda of TEYL in multiple international contexts.
- Background research and practical advice for students, teachers and researchers.
With extensive guidance on further reading throughout, The Routledge Handbook of Teaching English to Young Learners is essential reading for those studying and researching in this area.
Introduction Sue Garton and Fiona Copland
PART 1 – Macro Issues
1. Languages policy and English for young learners in early education Richard Johnstone
2. The age debate: a critical overview David Singleton and Simone E. Pfenninger
3. Early language learning teacher education Sarah Rich
4. Young learners’ motivation for learning English Yingying Li, Ye Han and Xuesong Gao
5. Teaching English to young learners in difficult circumstances Kuchah Kuchah
PART 2 In the Young Learner Classroom
6. Contexts of learning in TEYL Farrah Ching and Angel M. Y. Lin
7. Multilingualism in primary schools Victoria Murphy
8. Differentiated instruction for young English learners Amanda L. Sullivan and Mollie R. Weeks
9. Languages in the young learner classroom Fiona Copland and Ming Ni
10. Classroom management for teaching English to young learners Subhan Zein
PART 3 Young Learner Pedagogy
11. Fostering young learners’ listening and speaking skills Yasemin Kirkgöz
12. Teaching reading and writing to young learners Joan Kang Shin and JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
13. Teaching grammar to young learners Herbert Puchta
14. Vocabulary teaching for young learners Torill Irene Hestetræet
15. Critical pedagogy and teaching English to children Mario E. López-Gopar
16. CLIL in the primary school context Maria Ellison
17. Learning through literature Janice Bland
18. Language learning through projects Wendy Arnold, Coralyn Bradshaw and Kate Gregson
PART 4 Technology and Young Learner Curriculum
19. Gaming and young learners Yuko Goto Butler
20. Mobile learning for young english learners Florià Belinchón Majoral
21. Classroom technology for young learners Shona Whyte and Euline Cutrim Schmid
22. Syllabus development in early English language teaching Virginia Parker and David Valente
23. Materials for early language learning Irma-Kaarina Ghosn
24 Assessment of young English language learners Szilvia Papp
Part 5 Researching Young Learners
25. Research issues with young learners Annamaria Pinter
26. Research into the teaching of English as a foreign language in early childhood education and care Sandie Mourão
27. Research on learning English outside the classroom Peter Sayer and Ruth Ban
Part 6 Teaching English to Young Learners: Regional Perspectives
28. Early English language learning in Africa: challenges and opportunities Medadi E. Ssentanda and Jacob Marriote Ngwaru
29. Early English language learning in East Asia Lixian Jin and Martin Cortazzi
30. The Teaching of English to Young Learners in Europe Shelagh Rixon
31. Teaching English to young learners: some reflective voices from Latin America Inés K. Miller, Maria Isabel A. Cunha, Isabel Cristina R. Moraes Bezerra, Adriana N. Nóbrega, Clarissa X. Ewald, Walewska G. Braga.
32. The teaching of English to young learners across the Pacific Fiona Willans