This handbook explores and critically examines both positive and negative impacts of tourism development focusing on the past, present and future issues, challenges and trends from a multidisciplinary global perspective. Through a comparative approach involving international case studies, this book explores our understanding of tourism impacts and contributes to the theoretical development on relationships between tourism impacts and community support for tourism development.
This handbook focuses on a variety of geographical locations, drawing from the knowledge and expertise of highly regarded academics from around the world. Specifically, it explores the adoption and implementation of various tourism development and impact management approaches in a wide range of global contexts, while identifying their trends, issues and challenges. It addresses strategies relating to innovation, sustainability and social responsibility, and critically reviews the economic, sociocultural, environmental, political and technological impacts of tourism. The text also identifies future trends and issues, as well as exploring the methods used to study tourism impacts.
Conveying the latest thinking and research, this handbook will be a key reference for students, researchers and academics of tourism, as well as development studies, geography, cultural studies, sustainability and business, encouraging dialogue across disciplinary boundaries and areas of study.
List of figures. List of tables. List of contributors.
Introduction to tourism impacts. Robin Nunkoo and Dogan Gursoy
Part I: Tourism impacts
1. Tourism planning and tourism impacts. Donald G. Reid 2. Tourism and quality of life. Perunjodi Naidoo and Prabha Ramseook-Munhurrun 3. Overview of underpinnings of tourism impacts: the case of Lisbon destination. Sandra Maria Correia Loureiro, Eduardo Moraes Sarmento, and João Ferreira do Rosário 4. Tourism planning: the United Nations World Tourism Organization INSTO Programme – the example of Raglan, New Zealand. Chris Ryan, Zhe Chen, Li Linrui and Mary Anne Ramos Tumanan 5. The impacts of tourism on animals. Neil Carr 6. Impacts of elephant tourism in Thailand. Eric Laws, Noel Scott, and John Koldowski
Part II: Economic impacts of tourism
7. Economic impacts of tourism. Orhan Icoz and Onur Icoz 8. Tourism and income inequality in Mauritius: an empirical investigation. Sheereen Fauzel 9. Local economic development, rural tourism and communities: Southern African perspectives. Deserè Kokt and Johan Hattingh 10. Tracing the economic impacts of adventure travel. Paige P. Viren and Christina Beckmann 11. Long-term economic impacts of tourism. João Romão 12. The effects of small and medium-sized tourism enterprises on destinations. Sevinç Aslan and Mithat Zeki Dinçer 13. Economic impact of visitor (trader) harassment on tourist destinations and what tourism leaders can do about it. Annmarie Nicely and Karla “Gabbie” Morrison 14. The extraordinary league of rural women entrepreneurs of Malawi: the socio-economic impacts of tourism in Malawi. Gerald Milanzi 15. The role of tourism in poverty alleviation in Mauritius. Boopen Seetanah
Part III: Sociocultural impacts of tourism
16. Sociocultural impacts of tourism. Ozlem Tekin and Roya Rahimi 17. Social impacts of tourism: a critical literature review on the interrelation between well-being and tourism in the case of seniors. Edina Kovács, Kornélia Kiss, Ivett Pinke-Sziva, and Gábor Michalkó 18. Social psychological effects of tourism: evaluation of the tourist–local people interaction within the context of Allport’s intergroup contact theory. Sedat Çelik 19. Sociocultural impacts of tourism development on heritage sites. Orhan Akova and Ozan Atsiz 20. Socioeconomic impacts of tourism on the local community: Nkhata Bay district, Malawi. Grace Kamanga and Eugenio Njoloma
Part IV: Environmental impacts of tourism
21. Environmental impacts of tourism. Özge Kocabulut, Nisan Yozukmaz and Serkan Bertan 22. Tourism and the environment. Mahmoud M. Hewedi and Reem Bahaa ElMasry 23. Environmental impact of the ugly face of tourism: pollution and management perspectives. Solmaz L. Azarmi, Roozbeh Vaziri, Ayman Kole, Akeem A. Oladipo and Ahmet Bülend Göksel 24. Sensitization of tourists about climate change and its associated impacts on the tourism sector: the case of Mauritius. Adjnu Damar Ladkoo 25. Sustainable tourism as a catalyst for positive environmental change: the case of LUX* Resorts & Hotels. Vishnee Sowamber and Haywantee Rumi Ramkissoon
Part V: Political impacts of tourism
26. Political impacts of tourism. Richard Butler and Wantanee Suntikul 27. Tourism performances, government effectiveness and local growth: the Italian cultural heritage perspective. Dante Di Matteo 28. Impacts of corruption on tourism: a stop-and-go period for Brazilian tourism. Roseane Barcellos Marques, Carlos Alberto Alves, and Elizabeth Kyoko Wada
Part VI: Technology and tourism impacts
29. Smart tourism ecosystem impacts. Beykan Çizel and Edina Ajanovic 30. The onward march of technology and its impact on the world of tourism. Sagar Singh 31. Smart tourism ecosystems’ impacts on tourism destinations. Erdem Aktaş and Avşar Kurgun 32. Towards the digital era: adding value through ICT in the tourism industry. Fisun Yüksel
Part VII: Methods used to study tourism impacts 33. A critical review of statistical techniques and applications used to study tourism impacts. Edward C. Bolden, III 34. A Bayesian modeling approach to assess the moderating effect of gender and nationality on perception of residents towards support of tourism development in the United Arab Emirates. Nada Al-Sabri, Avraam Papastathopoulos, and Syed Zamberi Ahmad 35. A review of the application of social exchange theory in tourism research. Dan Musinguzi